Patching damaged roofing felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is 1930's without any gutter or soffit boards. Therefore the roof joists and roofing felt are exposed at the edge of the roof. Some of the roofing felt there has got holes or deteriorated completely. I want to replace or cover up the damaged felt to stop birds nesting there and also prevent the roof batons from getting damp.

Is there any product that would be suitable to cover the worn areas of felt between the joists ? I had thought to cut up bits of roofing felt and fix to the batons under the roof but not sure how long this would last.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
you cant fix to the batten as the new felt should be under the old felt, not over it.
why not simple stop the birds from getting in

I thought I can staple roofing felt to batons. This would keep birds out and protect batons.

Is it OK for the batons to be exposed to the elements ? If it is and I don't use felt what else do I use to keep birds out. Each area between joists is about 300mm wide bt 500mm deep.

You need to take off the first few rows of tiles and fit some plastic eaves tray, and if the felt is OK to lap on to this, then leave it in, if its too rotten, then you will have to replace the first layer of felt.

The eaves tray comes with or without eaves comb filler to keep the birds out, so you may need to fit some separately if you get the without variety - it depends on what tiles you have

Between the joists, either build the wall up to the underside of the felt, fit a timber section or fit chicken wire

Out of curiosity, why is there no gutter at all, that is unusual. Where does all the rainwater run-off go?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know what eave trays are but I will look them up. I was rather hoping there would be a solution which did not require taking up tiles.

I do have guttering but have not mentioned it. Metal gutter supports are screwed to the roof joists to support gutter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back