Double Locking Yale Night latch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so i get locked out, dinners cooking in the oven!!!! Great. Anyways, we boot the door of and now the door lock doesnt work. So i took it off and all semms pretty simple inside, except for when i opened it a spring flew out and hit me in the face. (damn that spring).. Now i havent a clue how to put it all back together because i dont know where the spring sprang from.. there are no obvious signs as to where it goes!! I know i could easily go and buy a new one, but i get a bbe in my bonnet over these things and dont like to be defeated by it. So.. if anyone can help me or knows where to find a pic or diagram of what it should look like inside i'd be real greatful.. Thanks for ya time.
Raven.

Sponsored Links
post some photos

meanwhile start saving up for a proper mortice deadlock.

remember that when I decide I want your belongings I can boot your door in just as easily.

Unless its a BS rated nightlatch (kite marked), its likely your household insurer may object to any burglary claim if entry is made through that door. Check your policy, and do as JohnD has suggested - get a decent mortice deadlock fitted to beef-up the door security.

as you havent said wether you have or have not got a 5 lever mortice lock fitted get 1 fitted as your insurance company will use it as a cop out in any claim,
now thats out the way :LOL:
ask a friendly neighbour if you can GENTLY take his night latch apart so you can copy his(u never know it might be the same)iirc the spring will be up against the side of the body of the lock and then bent down to fit behind the snib,its really hard to explain how it goes back hopefully this will be of help to you.

Sponsored Links
if the spring has a short leg and a long leg with a slight curve to it (with the spring coiled between these 2 sections) then it sits on a spigot located on 1 side of the latch,
the short leg sits against the outer wall of the case,the spring is then coiled back against itself (tensioning it up) and the long curved leg sits behind the brass latch itself,
thats assuming its a yale 85/89 doublelocking rim lock and thats the best way i can describe it.
hope this helps

Hey Hey.. Me again!! Thanks for all your help you guys... I bloody fixed it!!!!! It was the whole spring thing! i was puttin it round the wrong way causing no springyness ( is that even a word? :confused: ) Anywho... Thanks again... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back