PINE VARNISHED DOORS TO WHITE GLOSS DOORS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to paint pine door a white gloss, when I moved into my house the doors were pine, I had varnished them antique pine although still really rough that is all I have done to them, can you tell me if I can paint these white gloss and that it will last and look good, am I required to sand the doors down ??? Is is a really big job ??

Sponsored Links
Always sand any previous finish; what your aiming to achieve is to remove any knibs (bumpy bits caused by the wood grain, dust, cats fur & bits of carpet etc.) & provide a key for the new finish to stick to. Lightly sand with 120 grit paper until it feels smooth but don’t sand so hard it causes scratches! Wipe down with white spirit to remove the dust, let it dry & apply 2 coats of a water based white primer - dries quickly. Lightly sand again with 200 grit paper, wipe over with white spirit & let dry & then apply your oil based top coat; usually 2 coats, at least 12 hours in between.

If I can make a suggestion; satin white or eggshell white looks much better than gloss white IMO; it’s much more “in vogue” than gloss white at the moment & it’s more forgiving to preparation & brushing mistakes when it dries, it’ll look fantastic; good luck with it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back