showers and rcds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello need to inquire about showers. are you supposed to have a rcd when installing an electric shower or is the 40A mcb suffisent protection in the event of a fault?

Sponsored Links
Under the 16th edition an RCD is not required but recommeded due to electricity near water. But in the new 17th all circuits in a bathroom must be protected by one or more RCD/RCBOs.
Myself i would not install a shower without a 30mA RCD in the circuit.

As far as i am aware and i know i will be corrected if wrong... but under the 16th edition there is no requirement to install on a RCD. Although it is good practice to install them on one. (As I do)

;)

Sponsored Links
what if there wasn't enough room in the dist board to fit an rcd would it be a major issue?

Do crabtree still supply BS3871 sb6000 MCBs for those units ? Mind i suppose the fuse company would have them.

as said before,you dont need rcd protection for the shower if the install is under the 16th edition.bs7671 is only a minimum standard though.you wont get a spark to say not to use an rcd with this in mind.

its up to you(or your spark)but i wouldnt.

External RCD in an enclosure?

It's normally manufacturers recommendation to fit an RCD to a shower circuit (16th) and not that of the wiring regulations.

No idea, they may do..
Can you fit a small 2 way board to the side with RCD. More work but worth it. Its up to you. I would, but like we said there isn't any requirement. So do it before july if u don't want to fit one..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back