Alpha CB28 Combi Hot water keeps going off and on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I am having a problem with my Alpha CB28 Combi.
It has only occured within the last month or so.
When I run the shower, a manual mixer, the boiler fires up fine. It will stay alight for varying amounts of time and will turn off. It then fires back up again within about 10-15 secs.
Obviously during this interval the shower is then running cold until the boiler fires up again.
The pump is running fine, the divertor valve and diaphram are ok, although I changed these as precaution.
I have also changed the DHW heat exchanger and DHW sensor. I have an identical spare to source parts.
I have tested the DHW stat and I 'think' am getting the correct readings according to the handbook, less than 1 Ohm continuity across the terminals.
I have changed the shower head as I thought it might not be letting the minimum of 2.5 litres per minute through, although there doesn't appear to be a drop in pressure, now I am thinking of changing the shower, never liked my one anyway.
Sometimes if you leave the shower running for say 15 mins, the boiler will stay on and all is well.
I am going to see if these problems occur when running a bath or basin / sink taps, which would suggest the theory of not enough water flow, but your help or ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi folks, still haven't got any ideas on this, I read on here someone had a simlilar problem which tyrned out to be heat exchanger, like i said i have changed this to no avail.
I have now put a thermostatic shower on and it so far seems to have sorted the problem, although i have only had two showers, but it is now doing it in heating mode :(
Could this be PCB fault, or possibly therostat fault. Is it possible to change the stats, which appear to be located on the PCB. Please guys HELP me.

You could try changing the overheat thermistor/ntc.

The pcb on these is usually very reliable

Sponsored Links
Yes I changed the thermistor and it works.
Thanks Dave, everything all sorted and back to normal, once again many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back