Removal of Wood Glue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently purchased an ash table from a local retailer.

When it arrived, I noted that there was glue on the wood; this seems to have occurred when the manufacturers stuck in the granite centrepiece and the glue obviously hadnt dried before moving it. There is thus a small film of dried glue above on top of the lacquer (about 8cm by 0.5cm - not huge).

Naturally I am trying to get retailer to supply an alternative table but this is proving to be a long wait as they are imported from the Far East. They have offered to come round and try and repair themselves, and apply some finishing oil and see how that comes out.

Because of the delay I am tempted to try and negotiate a discount and try and repair myself (or get a furniture repairer to do it). Is this an easy job to do or shall I let the retailer take the risk? (though ultimately wait longer for my table!)

Sponsored Links
If you accept a repair, you can't a replacement later. Best to put up with it until a replacement arrives.

Sponsored Links
If you accept a repair, you can't a replacement later. Best to put up with it until a replacement arrives.

Disagree with this. If the retailer tries to repair and makes it worse, for example, then you are still entitled to a replacement/refund. Had this before with a sofa; one is legally entitled to reject a repair even after it has been carried out.

Still, this does not answer my question. What I was trying to gauge was whether or not contributors believe this is an easy task to remedy, or if it will always look naff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back