door frame removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have started to remove an interior door frame by taking off the 'outside' strips. I was wanting to remove the whole frame and just plaster it smooth but now I've taken this part off I'm worried the rest may be supporting the wall. Will I have any problems if I remove the rest as some of the surrounding plaster (or cement?) looks quite loose. There are also electric cables from the light switches running along this edge so how do I cover those, don't think you're supposed to plaster them in completely?! I'm starting to wish I'd never started this project!

Sponsored Links
it would be highly unlikely that the door frame would be suporting any wall above. if the wall is load bearing then there would be a lintel above the frame which can obviously remain if you take the frame out.
if the wall is stud then you can just infil once you have taken the trim off .

the casing or lining may be fitted into an enlarged masonry aperture, both in width and height.
the make-up around the casing may have been done with an inch or more of mortar.

don't be too alarmed about removing this surplus material.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back