3 Channel Mechanical Programmer with boost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At present I have two heating zones and CH controlled by a simple "Flash Immermat" timer - in effect all controlled as a single channel :(

I've been meaning to install something more efficient for some time. I'm pretty sure that all the wiring is in place. The plumber who plumbed the house told me so and I checked the wiring of the current timer and verified that there are 3 wires out of the "phase out" connector.

I know there are quite a few 3 channel timers out there such as the Horstmann. All I can find though are electronic programmers.

While I comfortable with programming gadgets I don't think such a programmer is suitable for us. For a start I would prefer to have more on/off periods than say 3. Futhermore, our day time use of house varys from day to day and week to week so it is much quicker to change the settings on a mechanical programmer than an electronic one.

So.. my reuirements are 3 separate timer dials to control 3 channels with separate boost option for each one. I would prefer not to have the "peg" option as this too limits number of on/off periods.

I'm doubtful if such a product exists? But I would be very grateful if someone could suggest any alternative that might meet my requirements.

Thanks in advance,
uiscer

Sponsored Links
I think you are an armchair designer.

The obvious simple solution is to have a simple programmer for each heating channel and just use the boost button and the thermostat to give you the changes you want on a day to day basis.

What I dont recommend is any mechanical timer of any kind !

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't been called "an armchair designer" before but I do appreciate your advice all the same !

As a matter of interest, what is your primary dislike of mechanical timers? I guess they are more prone to breaking.

As I said earlier my only misgiving about the electronic programmers is the limitation on on/off periods. I guess I could also include an programmable thermostat to help in this regard.

What 3 channel programmer would you recommend? The "Horstmann H37XL seems to fit the bill?

cheers,
uiscer

Tony,
What 3 channel programmer would you recommend? The "Horstmann H37XL seems to fit the bill?

cheers,
uiscer

That is the worst timer I have ever had to program. IIRC, you have to program each set time for each day individually. There is no copy function. Horrible.

I would go for 3 single channel programmers!

Sponsored Links
I bought and installed one of these and am quite happy with it so far.

I don't know if it was an older model that you used but there is most definitely a copy function in the one that I bought. It does limit you to copy on/off times from previous day i.e. you can't select a specific day whose times you want to copy.

There is also a holiday mode which I think will be useful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back