DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Urgent Tyrolean help

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
mick_b

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:48 pm Reply with quote

Hello all,

I found a few threads on this forum via google and im glad because this appears to be the place for the right answers icon_smile.gif

Firstly I have purchased a tyrolean gun from screwfix and would like to warn everybody not to do the same, its too flimsy and the handle bushes are worthless. I have used it for 10 minutes and its already falling apart.

The one available for hire at jewsons (15.00 pw) is far better and at the price its not worth looking elsewhere.

However I have had a nightmare trying to find tyrolean mix in stock within a 20 mile radius of 'north london e4' and i must start tomorrow without fail. I have found 2 products - blue circle renderdash @ 25.00 per 25kg and Cullamix tyrolean render @ 12.00 per 25kg. Guess which brand I would prefer icon_wink.gif

Unless someone can come up with a stockist locally that actually has this product in stock can someone advise the correct materials and ratios ?
I have spent over 2 hours phoning merchants and it appears that no one requests these mixes anymore.

Any help would be great,

Regards

Mick

p.s. I have tried a building sand and opc mix with limited success, thats why I want the cullamix pack
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
masona

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:20 pm Reply with quote

mick_b wrote:
However I have had a nightmare trying to find tyrolean mix in stock within a 20 mile radius of 'north london e4'

Is Beckton, London near you?
 Alert Moderators
mick_b

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:25 pm Reply with quote

Masona,

Yes Beckton is a 15-20 minute trip down the a406.
Which builders merchant are you referring to ?

Cheers

Mick
 Alert Moderators
masona

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:36 pm Reply with quote

www.sheffins.co.uk , see here.

The branch location map is on their website.
 Alert Moderators
mick_b

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:48 pm Reply with quote

I phoned them today and they are out of stock icon_sad.gif
I may try again tomorrow as the manufacturer of this product claimed sheffins were the biggest stockist.

Travis perkins in wandsworth have blue circle renderdash but its twice the price and I have over 100 sq mtrs to coat ! 1 bag = 5 sq mtrs at aprox 5mm.

Thanks for your help,

Mick
 Alert Moderators
mick_b

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:38 am Reply with quote

Phoned sheffins this morning and they confirmed that I am quite simply not going to find this product in stock anywhere because the manufacturer will only sell a 1 tonne pallet at a time.

On that basis im going to hire the 'proper' gun from jewsons and try knocking up my own mix with render sand and cement.

The moral of this story is dont get too excited when you find the perfect product for a job icon_cry.gif

Mick
 Alert Moderators
masona

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:26 am Reply with quote

mick_b wrote:
Phoned sheffins this morning and they confirmed that I am quite simply not going to find this product in stock anywhere because the manufacturer will only sell a 1 tonne pallet at a time.

What a shame, I work it out you need approx' 1/2 a ton, be nice if you know someone else need 1/2 a ton as well to share the cost.
 Alert Moderators
mick_b

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:55 pm Reply with quote

Thought I would share this with others,

Completely gave up on the srewfix gun and hired the jewsons gun, wow what a huge difference ! This gun puts up with any type of mix and gives an even spray all of the time, ive just been practising on a wall with standard 4-1 builders mix.

Im going to use normal soft sand with white cement and probably make it a sloppy mix, the gun is heavy when its half full and my arm will probably be knackered by the time the walls are coated.

Screwfix are normally really good and I feel they have overlooked the quality of their gun, they have agreed to collect it on friday and reimburse.

Mick

p.s. masona you are right, i need half a tonne for a 5mm cover.
 Alert Moderators
masona

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:04 pm Reply with quote

mick_b wrote:
the gun is heavy when its half full and my arm will probably be knackered by the time the walls are coated.

You would've thought some sort of body harness or neck & belt holder to take the weight etc...
 Alert Moderators
EricThePlasterer1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote

[quote="mick_b";p="72252"]Hello all,

I found a few threads on this forum via google and im glad because this appears to be the place for the right answers icon_smile.gif

Firstly I have purchased a tyrolean gun from screwfix and would like to warn everybody not to do the same, its too flimsy and the handle bushes are worthless. I have used it for 10 minutes and its already falling apart.

The one available for hire at jewsons (15.00 pw) is far better and at the price its not worth looking elsewhere.

However I have had a nightmare trying to find tyrolean mix in stock within a 20 mile radius of 'north london e4' and i must start tomorrow without fail. I have found 2 products - blue circle renderdash @ 25.00 per 25kg and Cullamix tyrolean render @ 12.00 per 25kg. Guess which brand I would prefer icon_wink.gif

Unless someone can come up with a stockist locally that actually has this product in stock can someone advise the correct materials and ratios ?
I have spent over 2 hours phoning merchants and it appears that no one requests these mixes anymore.

Any help would be great,

Regards

Mick

p.s. I have tried a building sand and opc mix with limited success, thats why I want the cullamix pack[/
Quote:
you can buy a tyrolean gun from first hire for 31.62 inc vat not worth paying hire, I have used a fine sharp sand and cement mix 3-1 and quite runny but you do have to paint it afterwards, the tiny blobs made by the gun increase in size the more you go over the area
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > General DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: