Water Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a 1st floor massionete and had a Worcester Combi Boiler fitted. This replaced an old conventional boiler (storage tank etc). The plumber who fitted it didn't tell me until he'd finished and been paid, that the property is on a shared main with downstairs.

The result is that I often don't get enough water pressure for the boiler to work. Pretty annoying when you've paid out for a new system.

Does anyone know any tricks to increase the flow of water through the boiler or is my only choice to pay out for something else to be fitted?

I'd appreciate any help:)

Max

Sponsored Links
Water company have to by law supply you with so many litres per minute(I believe it is around 5 ) so your first port of call should be to them. Also it might be worth you insisting on your own main. If they refuse speak to Ofwat :)

I've actually had water board check the pressure and it's plenty above the legal requirement. Water board also said I could have my own main but I would have to pay for it with my neighbour. Neighbour (being downstairs) doesn't have such a problem with the water pressure so isn't keen to pay out or have disturbance of a new water main fitted. Do you think Ofwat would make them give me a new main?

I don't think there's any requirement for them to provide you with a new main. Although by all means check with Ofwat - you may get lucky.
It's a big problem with converted flats these days although apparently now with new flats they must each have their own main supply.
I'm surprised that the plumber that installed your new combi didn't check the flow beforehand. Or even the others that came to quote you for it.
Ultimately I think you might have to pay for a new mains. Sorry.

Sponsored Links
Sue the plumber. It looks like he was professionally negligent. Combies can be a nightmare when installed inappropriately, and I wont fit one if I think it's wrong even if the customer wants it. Why? In case they sue me.

i met a bloke who converted his house into 2 flats, he had bg put combi in upstairs, guess what, he had to pay water co for separate supply, water co said they often have to do this after bg have been.

also all ok when boiler tested, untill downstairs people come in and flush loo

How do I go about sueing this plumber? Who said he was an expert!
Isn't that going to be an expense?

Probably a very stupid question, but is it possible to run a combi boiler from a water tank in the loft? I assume the pressure wouldn't be enough??

maxam29 said:
Probably a very stupid question, but is it possible to run a combi boiler from a water tank in the loft? I assume the pressure wouldn't be enough??
It is :LOL:
Combi runs off the mains water so tank can be obliterated ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back