DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Drilling holes through Solid wood floor & dpm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Floors, Stairs and Lofts
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ricardus

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote

I've brought a load of the Costco/Elka solid wood flooring to lay in my kitchen diner. (And thanks to the advice garnered from here, I know I can lay it as a floating floor and glue the Tongue and Groove icon_smile.gif )
I'm planning on putting down a combi DPM/Underlay over the existing concrete, but heres the catch - in roughly the middle of the floor I'll be bolting two metal stands through it to mount a radiator on. Each stand with have 3x 10-12mm holes drilled right through and about 40mm into the concrete for some no12 screws. (I'm sure this won't penetrate the building dampcourse, and in fact the existing plasterboard wall I knocked out was secured to the floor with steel nails driven about an 1.5" into the concrete and they show no signs of rust.)

But obviously this is going to compromise the integrity of the dpm I put down for the new oak floor - should I be worried?
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
mattysupra

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote

the 'dpm' underlay you have used is a moister barrier. It is not designed to stop damp but to stop condensation, moister vapour ect. There will be no problem if you drill through it. But you will need to leave expansion around your fixing so that you dont trap the floor.
 Alert Moderators
Ricardus

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote

Cheers, after posting it occurred to me it might be a daft question, but it's nice to have my fears allayed.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem with the fixing, I'll have to drill a 10mm+ hole through the wood to get the masonry bit through to drill the floor, so there's going to be a small expansion gap around the shank of the screws anyway icon_smile.gif
 Alert Moderators
gregers

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote

it might be worth wiping some silicone round the screw b4 inserting them.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Floors, Stairs and Lofts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: