Bill for extra work from Builder - is it reasonable HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I never thought I would be in this situation but here it is. We have just had our extension finished and got a larger than expected final bill - common I am sure but I dont know how reasonable it is because I lack the experience as this was our first extension.

The build was a new garage and downstairs bedroom incorporating a studwork en-suite.

Quote from a builder for an extension verbally at 26,500.00. He had the plans approved by the planning authority before quoting.

We then changed the plans to

1. incorporate a doorway from the hall into the garage
2. relocate the en-suite to the back of the garage with door from bedroom and make it a wet room (bringing quote to 31,000!)
3. change the ceiling to a vaulted ceiling

I understand that when there is a garage with access from the house, the garage floor has to be lower for Building Regs. However, the builder is also saying that this meant the wall between the garage and bedroom had to have footings when before he was going to build it off a slab. Is this correct? - it is the usual 2 skin breeze block construction. I thought that would need footings anyway?

In relation to the vaulted ceiling the builder led me to believe it would add about a grand to the price so I said ok. He now says he was only talking about the price of the insulation which had to be TRISO. It now turns out to have cost 2770.00 made up of 1570 for insulation and counter battening for he syas 63swm, and the rest for bigger timbers, extra plastering as well as 650.00 for two steels spanning 6 metres.

He charged 1,500 for the footings for the wet room and 2,000 for the blockwork for a room 2mx2mx3m. He also charged 1,500 for tiling the wet room with mosaic tilles. He reckoned 6 days labour which was a discount from the 8 days he had actually spent! He has offered to knock 250.00 off. Is that reasonable cost for tiling. He says mosaics are really difficult.

There is more but think that will do for now. Any help appreciated. He did not give any price in writing in advance and his quote was a bit scrappy!

Sponsored Links
You're in a mess because you seemingly did not get a firm quote and so do not know what was being done for the money. But how to deal with it?

Its alright the builder saying that he quoted for doing the floor/wall off the floor slab, but had to do it another way, but did he really? Or if he is an experienced builder should he have known that he would never have been permitted to build it off a floor slab?

And if I am asking for a price to alter the roof, I don't expect the builder to quote me just for insulation! Did he or did you hear wrongly?

But from the builders point of view, he has done your extra work and now should be paid

Its not possible to give firm advice but points to consider

• Extra work has to have some basis for charges - what are the day or hourly rates and material costs - ask for a breakdown of how the cost is built up.

Were proper quotes/estimates given when you asked for changes - have these been adhered to?

Would a professional builder be expected to know that certain things needed to be done or built a particular way, and so is it reasonable for him to say - "Oh I needed to change this and do that which I never planned for"?
Without any firm knowledge of costs you are at a disadvantage. If you are not happy with the charges, make an offer. If the offer is declined, then offer to employ a surveyor or suchlike to go through the bill and confirm if the rates are reasonable in todays market

Keep an open mind as it seems you have engaged the builder on trust, and just because he is asking for more money than you thought, it does not mean he is out to rip you off

Thanks woody - some very valid points. However on the tiles front I supplied all the materials and having calculated the cost per sqm it would appear to be in the region of 66.00 per sqm just for fitting.

I did not mishear the builder but how does anyone prove what was said not said. Should have had written quotes but he made it sound like it would not add much while not giving any prices at all for most things. Think I will make an offer and see how we go. Thanks.

I did not mishear the builder but how does anyone prove what was said not said. Should have had written quotes...
You just answered your own question! Always get prices confirmed in writing, before having any work carried out; that way there is no argument over what was agreed/included/excluded.

Sponsored Links
i'm, in a similar position. I had a quote for the work in writing. Along the way he has added for various things. When i noticed this i said ANY future extras run it by me first. Since then he has mentioned this and that will be extra, so i asked give me a price first. On returning home the work was done but no price agreed. I'm now standing my ground and refusing to pay for any work i have not agreed a price on. We will see what happens, Court maybe!

Thats OK if the work was truly extra to the original work and will not hold the job up. But if the work was essential but just not quoted for, then its unreasonab leto expect the builder to stop work to prepare prices for every little change and wait for decisions - in which case there is a valid claim for 'dayworks' while the builder can not carry on with the original work.

If I was the builder, then I'd think about ripping the work which you don't want to pay for back out.

Thats OK if the work was truly extra to the original work and will not hold the job up. But if the work was essential but just not quoted for, then its unreasonab leto expect the builder to stop work to prepare prices for every little change and wait for decisions - in which case there is a valid claim for 'dayworks' while the builder can not carry on with the original work.

If I was the builder, then I'd think about ripping the work which you don't want to pay for back out.

I agree totally with that Woody...

very often genuine 'extra costs' will arise on a big (ish) job that could not have been foreseen...

tzartisan...what is the total final price? (31k?)

Based on what you have said it seems to be a fair price for the ceiling work and the wetroom...
I understand that when there is a garage with access from the house, the garage floor has to be lower for Building Regs. However, the builder is also saying that this meant the wall between the garage and bedroom had to have footings when before he was going to build it off a slab. Is this correct? - it is the usual 2 skin breeze block construction. I thought that would need footings anyway?

It would have had to have footings anyway if he was building a wall on it

Most importantly....what is the standard of the work carried out?

have they made a good job it?

if so then I would say that the additional costs are 'fair and reasonable' for the work involved..

Errr no. The first quote became 31000. Then we added new mdf stairs, changed to the wet room and had two ceilings skimmed and plastered as well as a couple of other minor jobs and the final bill is 43500.00. I have 7500 left to pay which I am not keen on parting with much of!

many problems occur with extras people always say can you just do this can you just do that without realising how much extra they re adding to the bill.theres no point telling you that you should have had a written quote for all the extras as they occurred because its too late for that now try talk to the builder and ask him to itemise the extras bill then you can see for yourself where the money has been spent.only prostitutes get paid for extras thats what my old gaffer used to say

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back