Long crack in pebbledash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a long crack in the pebbledash of my house running from the bottom of the top left upstairs window down to the top right of the downstairs window. It is a 1890's terraced house.

I had my windows replaced in 2006 and water started to come in both the upstairs and downstairs front windows, the window firm said it was a problem with my guttering, this was then replaced which stopped water coming in upstairs but I was still getting water coming in around the downstairs window when there was heavy rain on the side of the house, I have now noticed the crack and as well as the original pebbledash being cracked, the cement put around the new windows is also cracked now. The spot where it leaks is directly behind where the crack is.

Should I get a surveyor around or just patch up the crack?

Sponsored Links
At a guess, the crack is due to the old windows being removed, and no lintel put in

The windows guys should have taken this into account

Get the window people back to correct their work around the frames, and see what they say about why the other crack has appeared after they replaced the window.

Sponsored Links
once water has got behind the render that is holding your p/dash.. the whole lot will be heading towards peeling off. I would certainly get the window guys back as adding windows after the p/dash can cause water ingress if the edges are not sealed. If you can not get them back look at your receipt or contract and see if the PVCu makers name is there, (VEKA, for expample) they will often send a rep round if you state there product may be causing it and if the fitters are still using that profile they will be called in by there main supplier (always a good in-road).
Cement renders are not breathable so any water behind there causes damp inside the house if it can not escape. good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back