new plumber getting started

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone i'm Darren.
Just joined up to this forum but hope to get to know you all in the near future. I am currently studying to be a plumber with OLCI and i'm almost halt way through.

What i was wondering is does anyone know the best way to get all the tools i'll need to be a plumber. I mean can you find retireing plumbers and get there tools on the cheap or is it break the bank buy everything knew and hope it lasts.

Would appreciate a tool bag list as well so i know what to buy for the essentials. eg pipe bender, flux blow torch etc etc.

Would you also find a company or plumber to work with when i qualify or go straight away self employed starting off with little jobs to build my confidence.

Many thanks dazza

Sponsored Links
I was in the same situation as you six years ago. I can tell you what I did, and you can mull it over. I worked for a local plumber, doing a lot of more menial installation work he didn't want to do. I mostly worked alone and had to think on my feet a lot... but all good experience. I almost entirely worked exclusively for him for about 18 months, but when work came my way I did them myself. I then did more work with another kitchen/bathroom fitter, and word spread, and I have usually been quite busy.

It is well worth buying a reliable van. I've never gone for a showroom gleamer but you want something that isn't gonna let you down too much. Depending upon the type of work you are going to undertake, I don't think your van can ever be too big. I have a LWB Hi-top transit and still it gets full when carrying extra kit about.

You will need the basic tools, a lot of which I had before I started, but it is often the case that you need to buy tool X for a certain job... unless you can borrow one... hiring works out expensive if you are going to use it 3 or 4 times...

One thing I will say is that a lot of guys (and gals) "Do a bit of Plumbing". What is better is to get yourself qualified to do oil or gas work, depending upon what is around you. That way you can specialize more, charge more (recouping your training and registration fees). Decide how much you want (need) to earn, plus about £40-50 per day to cover overheads: transport, FUEL!!!, tools etc. A lot of people mistakenly think that you "earning £200 per day" is £200 in your pocket: it isn't... maybe £120 after over heads and tax!!

Never work without Public Liability Insurance, put business cards up in local Post Offices etc, often free, big ads in Yellow Pages can be expensive and yield little, word of mouth is best... and never be afraid to ask for help. We all come across new stuff from time to time. If in doubt, ring the manufacturer for clarification and advice. Think, plan ahead, and remember (where the bloke I worked for went wrong), You are better off doing 5 jobs properly to a high standard for £200 each, than for 10 jobs done in a rush for £100 each.

Don't expect local plumbers to leap at the chance of having you; but they may look more favorably on you that a 16 yr old who isn't that interested (but some 16yr olds very interested of course). You may end up being competition for them in a few years to come.

Good luck. It can be done.

You will never have enough tools always buying some gismo when at the merchants , Dont be tempted to buy cheap and cheerful false economics . Depends what type o work your going to do . Cant beat a good set of screw orivers footprints adjustable spanners Boxed set different pliers , chisels saws allen keys basin spanner the list goes on and on Oh and the wee things you make up yourself to do one off jobs And all your battery operated tools .Always carry a wee high powered pocket torch and a must loose a tape measure every week as well.

Sponsored Links
oh, and I forgot... if you need help this can be a good place to get advice or info, but be wary, some "advice" might be from a bloke who changed a tap a few years ago!! and badly...

Cheers leakydave,

that was extremely helpful i did not realise some people are on 200 a day anyway.

im a postman at the mo on bout 65 a day walking around in all weathers and want to finally do something with my life and be my own boss.

i will take on board what you said and look into the vans etc.

also one more question any idea where i can get some cheap copper pipe to practice my offsets and pass overs etc, outside of the workshops i dont get chance to practice as im working at royal mail. so some off cuts would come in handy.

Many thanks Darren

Cheap copper pipe, we all would love that Darren. Best would be used taken from a job you were working on.
Ask the boss first otherwise..............

Good luck
Pete

Cheers leakydave,

that was extremely helpful i did not realise some people are on 200 a day anyway.

im a postman at the mo on bout 65 a day walking around in all weathers and want to finally do something with my life and be my own boss.

I bet thats take home with uniform provided, holiday pay, sick pay etc that all has to be taken into account when you are self employed.

Cheap copper pipe, we all would love that Darren. Best would be used taken from a job you were working on.
Ask the boss first otherwise..............

Good luck
Pete

This is the thing i'm not on a job im only able to practice my pipe bending in the workshops i attend about every 2 months so the time in between i would like to keep my mind refreshed.

Does anyone know an easy way to do passovers and offsets etc or does it all come with experience and practice hence the used left overs for me to practice on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back