WHITE FLOURY PATCHES ON GARAGE FLOOR EXTREME DUST WOT IS IT?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to give my garage a clear out and a new lease of life, the floor has been painted by previous owner and obviously quite some time ago, in garage floor paint. It is a concrete floor. I thought I would first loosen any of the flaking paint and there are parts where this paint has come off. On brushing I notice the white greyish patches where the paint has come off are just causing continuous dust. I mean I could brush forever and still remove dust, its not a dirty dust but seems almost white and floury. Will this just need PVAing before I repaint in order to seal, or is this something more sinister. Once again your help on this site would be much appreciated. thanks. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
if it is fluffy white powder it is probably efforescence.

If it is at all gritty it will be the concrete surface wearing and making dust. You can brush a concrete floor forever and it will never stop making dust (until it is worn away to nothing).

It seems to be a bit fluffy white so probably efforesence, but also seems as though the concrete floor as you say could be brushed forever.
What is the best thing to do to treat this before I paint with floor paint. should I just brush on some diluted PVA on all the bare patches? :?:

Sponsored Links
If concrete is "over wet" when it is poured, and the excess water forms puddles on the surface, it makes that surface weaker because the cement in the concrete in those areas would have become diluted/watery, leaving you with a powdery/weaker surface. Most concrete on major contracts/jobs, would be slump tested to ensure the correct amount of water had been added. With the PSA, on Government Contracts etc, if a load/s of concrete were "over wet" and failed the slump test, the load/s were condemned because the future strength of the concrete itself had been compromised. Even a semi dry sand and cement floor screed with the odd "over wet" batch here and there, would also give a powdery, weak surface in those areas where the excess water had come to the top. Too much water in or on, concrete, cement screeds, mortars, plasters etc, is not good. It might be easier to work with, but gives a far weaker end result, and all the problems that go with it.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back