Fence advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have just moved into a house that has one good fence and 2 bad (of which I'm responsible for all).

The good fence has been constructed using concrete posts and Aris rails. I would like to build this style of fence as replacements for the bad sides. The question I have is where do you actually get the posts. All the major DIY places have concrete slotted posts but none that would be suitable for aris rails. I understand that specific names can not be given but a pointer in a general direction would be useful.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Swanster

Sponsored Links
As I'm clearly not afraid of asking stupid questions, I have another. The aris rails on my good fence are notched to slot into a concrete post. My question is how is the best way of constructing the fencing. I'm guessing that you cement one post in and then fit the rails to the next post whilst cementing it in place (else it is impossible to get the rail in). This would seem problematic (i.e. loading the post whilst positioning it square), so is there some sort of method I'm over looking?

Sponsored Links
I suppose you could do what you are suggesting, but it would be decidedly tricky - the most important thing is to get the posts at the correct position (3m centres?), correct depth and vertical. If you think a few years down the line when the rails have rotted, you won't be able to use your method at that time. I've replaced quite a few of my rails over the years. For 10cm posts, I cut the rails to about 295cm long. I shape about 5cm on one end to fit into the slot, and similarly about 2.5cm on the other end. Then the rail can be fitted by inserting the longer end and pulling back so you finish with about 2.5cm in each post. Not easy to explain, but I hope it's clear and it works OK for me.
And don't forget to use galvanised nails !

As I'm clearly not afraid of asking stupid questions, I have another. The aris rails on my good fence are notched to slot into a concrete post. My question is how is the best way of constructing the fencing. I'm guessing that you cement one post in and then fit the rails to the next post whilst cementing it in place (else it is impossible to get the rail in). This would seem problematic (i.e. loading the post whilst positioning it square), so is there some sort of method I'm over looking?

Hi swanster.
This is how I got around the problem, although there may be an easier way.

I used 400mm lengths of galvanised waterbar. The posts were 100mm square, so when the waterbar is slipped through the slot in the post, there would be 150mm sticking out each side.

I routered a 150mm x 30mm x 6mm slot in the back of the arris rails then drilled screw holes through the waterbar and countersunk them.

I then fixed the posts into postion using a string line and spirit level.
When they had set, I slipped the waterbar through the slots in the posts then screwed them to the arris rails.

This method worked well, but like I said, there may be a better / alternative way.

swanster the way you have described is exactly the way we do it all the time. If you have erected the first post correctly and the dry concrete is well rammed in, then placing the arris rails in is no problem at all. You will get a much sturdier finish

Excellent, I am now fairly confident that I can do a reasonable job (though it may take me a while). I have identified and sourced all the bits I need so fingers crossed for good weather!!

Thanks again for everyones help.

Swanster

Certainly Thermo's method will make a strong fence. And if you can treat the fence annually with preservative it may last for ages. The arris rail and its ends must be treated, and the problem is that you can't get at them unless you are on good terms with your neighbour. Often they simply let ivy grow, which is very bad for the fence life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back