Kitchen extract fan into chimney?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am planning to move the kitchen to a room which has no external walls. The room does have a disused, boarded up fireplace. Can I mount the mandatory kitchen extract fan to exhaust into the chimney?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You really need to take it out, just venting cooking steam into the chimney may cause a damp problem. By all means run ducting all the way to the top, but make sure it goes out, and you may need a more powerful fan to go the extra mile.

I take it this is downstairs?

Its a first floor flat in a 4 storey block. The chimney being there would be handy if it could be used but I have also identified an interior route to the external wall that wouldnt be too noticeable. Lining the chimney would be a bit too pricy I think.

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember a similar post a couple of months back; the LABC man apparently said no!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back