Additional Doorbell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to add another door bell on the other side of the house. The one I have is a ding dong type on a 8v transformer. I connect the new (a traditional underdome bell) one up and it works fine if connected directly to the transformer. When both are connected the new one has a weak ring.
Do I need a bigger wattage transformer?

Sponsored Links
And how long is the cable?

I suspect you have wired the ding dong is series with the underdome. This will reduce the voltage to both bells, but the ding-dong will be largely uneffected by this undervoltage.

The new bell is 8v.
I think its something to do with the fact that that both are connected to the push button but I wondered if anyone else had found problems and needed a bigger transformer?

Sponsored Links
What is the current rating of the transformer,
An underdome bell tends to work best with a 1.0amp transformer.

Sound exactly like whats happening. Theres only about 8 metres of cable to the furthest bell.
I've attached the new bell to the transformer with one of the wires going to the right hand terminal on the transformer and the other wire going to the push button then back to the underdome bell.

sometimes if the screw holding the cover is too tight it rings poor ,get someone to hold button on, while you adjust the cover and screw

on the older ones you could spin the cover round to adjust it, as the thickness of the rim varied

I've tried that and it works fine when connected on its own to the push button. Its only weaker when both bells are connected to the push button.

What is the current rating of the transformer

An underdome bell has a solenoid , when the button is in it energizes, there is a contact inside it that cuts the power, this repeats and makes the ring sound.
To work it you need to hold button on to hear it

with the ding dong , ALL the time the button is held in the solenoid is energized ,so the bell will "ding" and be quiet.

IT is still draining power from the transformer.
When you release the button the solenoid powers off and the spring causes the core to spring back and hit the chime sounding the "dong".

Measure the voltage at the underdome bell.

It is essential that the amp rating is high enough for the two solenoids.

Chances are that the transformer just can't supply the current for both bells together without its output collapsing. If you have a meter check what voltage is appearing on the bell terminals with the button pressed. Check at the transformer too - 1 amp bellwire can be surprisingly resistive. If as I expect the transformer output is low you will need a bigger one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back