RCD tripping and MCB has 3 rings coming out of it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

IN my CU I have an RCD controlling 2 MCB's. One MCB is causing the RCD trip.

The offending MCB is used for my livingroom and 2 bedrooms. Now it has 3 live (red) wired coming out of the top if it.

I intend checking the area that each of these wires cover by disconnecting one at a time and finding if the RCD doesn't trip. If it doesn't then I can light test the sockets to see wher ethe power is isolated on the defective ring.

Is it normal to have 3 wires coming out of a MCB?

If there is one room that is causing a problem then is it more likely to be
A) a wire
B) a socket (I can check by using blocks to see if the problem is alleviated) or
C) All of the above :)

Cheers
Bob

Sponsored Links
I would say more likely something plugged in or connected to a FCU.
It may be the wiring, but I would unplug everything on the circuits first and switch off the FCU,s if any.
Socket unlikely,to cause a fault, unless damaged or wet

I would say more likely something plugged in or connected to a FCU.
It may be the wiring, but I would unplug everything on the circuits first and switch off the FCU,s if any.
Socket unlikely,to cause a fault, unless damaged or wet

Oooops Sorry I forgot to say that everything is unplugged from the circuit.
And it happened when were were doing nothing.

AND I have to say that this is a great site. A reply in about 10 mins.

Thanks for the help

Best regards
Bob

PS I can help with Computer/software stuff So I'll do my bit to become "part" of the community.

(d) a nail through a cable

(e) water leak esp near boiler or pump

(f) mouse gnawing cable

Sponsored Links
The 3 x reds is likely to suggest ring in / out (that's 2) and a spur direct from the MCB

There are 3 reds
2 of them might be one ring , it starts there goes whereever and returns,
The other third wire ?

It could be 3 radials ,one per room , what size is the mcb

If it is a ring
if you disconnected them as you say one at a time, two of the reds when connected one at a time , would do the same sockets
So be carefull as with one connected , one of the disconnected reds might return and become live.
Is it tripped now and wont reset, because if it is only tripping once a day, you are unlikely to find the cause the way you say.

If you have a meter you can do a continuity test on the reds to see if there seems to be a ring and if the other is a spur. However lack of continuity can be a broken ring. Continuity test on the associated blacks, and at a socket, will give more clues. resistance tests on the reds and the blacks and the associated G&Y will give ring confirmation (but G&Y may have parallel paths esp from Supplementary Bonding).

You can disconnect the spur red (if it is one) and see what stops working.

And while we are talking about "blacks". Your fault could be on the live or the neutral conductor.
So when you are disconnecting the reds from the MCB - to localise your fault - you must also remove the associated neutral (black) from the neutral busbar otherwise your RCD will still trip!

Is it tripped now and wont reset, because if it is only tripping once a day, you are unlikely to find the cause the way you say.
Yesterday it wouldn't stay on and was tripping continuously.

It has never tripped before but now it is okay (just home from work). Just before the trip I'd washed the floor but didn't use much water. And certainly not as much as previously. I can only assume water got in somewhere.

Should I get an electrician out to check things properly or just wait to see if it reoccurs?

All the best
Bob

you need to find the fault

if it is a damaged cable it might seem to disappear

if it is water penetration it will come back at an inconvenient time.

It will not magically repair itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back