Ceiling Insulation - from underneath

GLW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to improve the insulation of all my upstairs ceilings, but I can't access the roofspace far enough to add insulation there - the roof pitch is very shallow and the space towards the edges is full of trusses that are too small to get through. The only insulation at the moment is a couple of inches of now patchy and scruffy glass fibre that was installed at build in 1971.

So I want to find a means of adding insulation below the existing plasterboard ceiling. I can easily sacrifice 100mm of room height. I would prefer not to use a tile-type suspended ceiling as I want a smooth finish - these are living rooms, kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms. But the only insulated plasterboard that I can find seems to be for new-build, and not for old ceilings.

1. Can anyone please point me at suitable materials?

2. Is there a condensation / humidity issue that I need to address?

Any ideas will be gratefully received.

GLW

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Many thanks to RSSteve and GaryinAshby - I'll get some more info from those two makers.

How about the condensation / ventilation issue? Can I fix insulation directly under the existing ceiling or do I need a vapour barrier, or allow an air space? Do I need to ventilate the air space into the loft (which would negate the value of the existing insulation, I suppose)?

Ideas welcome.

GLW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back