LV dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Let me first thank the members of this board and the administrator for a very comprehensive and useful resource.

Having read many of these posts I think the wealth of questions and answers has enabled me to come up with a solution to problem but I would like to clarify my solution with you all if possible.

I have 2 gang 2 way dimmer (does not say LV dimmer) and two non-dimmable 12V halogen wall light fittings with 5 off 10W bulbs in each. When I switch the power on the transformers buzz in the fittings which I expected due to the transformer laminates vibrating due to the 50Hz chopped ac supply.

I now think that I need to change the dimmer switch (Wicks Black Nickel Flat Plate 60-250W 200-250V) to a low voltage dimmer min 250W. I am planning to change light fitting transfomers to 105 Va electronic transformers on the feeds to both light fittings. I do not have space to fit the transformers in the light fittings and was planning to put the transformers under the upstairs floor and feed 12v supplied down the existing 1.5 T&E cables to the light fittings. In effect I will only be transforming the power supply further back up the line so I don't think this will be a problem (1.5 T&E should be ok with 4.2 Amps). I will be clearly labeling the inside of each fitting to state this configuration.

Any comments much appreciated on the technical aspects, legality (iaw 16th Edition etc) or otherwise of this solution.

Sponsored Links
1) Check that the transformers can be dimmed.

2) Check that they don't mind being underloaded (105VA vs 50W of lamps).

3) Keep the cable runs to the lights short - every metre will drop 1% of the voltage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back