Rotten Doorstep Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, i'm looking for some advice.

Our doorstep to our front door is in a poor condition. It is quite soft, the paint is starting to flake, and has an unsightly metal strip over the middle, and the wood appears to be rotten under there.

The bottom 8 inches of the door frame also seems quite soft (a screwdriver makes a small dent in the wood quite easily, although the rot only seems to extend about 1 maximum near the base.

The question is, could I cut out the threshold/step, and replace it with a new one, preferably and oak one to match a new oak door, and could I just strip the paint off of the base of the frame, and apply some of the "Ronseal high performance wood filler" to the area that is soft, and then repaint as normal?

I am hoping that this is possible as I think it will look a bit rubbish with a new door, and could get worse.

Thanks for your help :D.

PS. the current profile differs to the designs that local timber yards stock. will this be an issue, or will both designs fit? Thanks again for your help.

Sponsored Links
The question is, could I cut out the threshold/step, and replace it with a new one, preferably and oak one to match a new oak door, and could I just strip the paint off of the base of the frame, and apply some of the "Ronseal high performance wood filler" to the area that is soft, and then repaint as normal?

I see no problem with the sill you can get from the timber yard.
Cut out the old sill and place new sill into position BUT raising off the floor by approx 5mm(using shims/packers).This will allow the water to drip off the sill in the way it should(capillary reaction?).The image you posted of the new sill doesnt show a capillary groove on the underside,which most sills usually have but id bet that it will have.Seal the gap up by using a suitable sealant but making sure that the sealant is BEHIND the groove.

If as you say the frame can only be slightly penetrated with a blunt screwdriver then this would indicate that the rot isnt too bad.Scrape off the paint and cut out all rotten timber and then you can use your woodfiller.....personally i would splice repair the frame for a better job but this could take longer as you will need to get the correct profile frame for the replacement.

I hope this helps
[/quote]

I would go for a new hardwood doorframe and plenty of Cuprinol to resist future rot..

I have come round to the idea of linseed oil for a hardwood door sill now.

when you remove the old sill you will have to cut out the tenons on the frame before fixing in the new one,once you have removed most of the rotten timber to the frame use ronsil wet rot hardener brilliant stuff then use 2 pack filler,or you could do as jaffa has suggested and splice new timber in where required making sure that you make sure the joins are at an angle pointing down so if any moisture gets through it does not soak into your hard work and not lasting.

Sponsored Links
Is the best way to remove the old step to cut the middle out, and split the two end pieces until they come out, and then cut the tenons out from the frame, insert new sill, and insert packing pieces under the step to raise it from the ground - am I correct?

Thank you for your help.

Is the best way to remove the old step to cut the middle out, and split the two end pieces until they come out, and then cut the tenons out from the frame, insert new sill, and insert packing pieces under the step to raise it from the ground - am I correct?

Thank you for your help.

In a word 'YES'

Remember that you will also have to fix new sill.
Pilot drill holes,countersink,drill step,rawlplug,screw, fit pellet/fill screwholes and seal up new sill.....Jobs a guddun!!! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back