embarrasing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty ashamed to have to ask what is probably a very simple question, but how should I put up a picture on a solid brick wall covered in plaster.

I'm assuming I cant just knock a picture hook and nail in, but at the same time drilling a hole seems overkill. I did see some fittings for solid walls, but this said they weren't suitable for plastered walls.

If I do end up drilling whats the smallest diameter mortar drill on the market?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
drill a hole, put in a plasplug, screw in an eye. It is less likely to end up with cracks and lumps of plaster falling out than if you hammer something in. Drive the head of the plasplug below the surface of the plaster to revent the plaster cracking as teh plug expands. this also makes the hole easier to fill next time you are decorating, as you won't have a bit of plastic wedged in and projecting above the surface.

You can drill above head height (e.g. at Picture Rail height) then it will not be obtrusive and you can use picture wire to hang the thing.

When you buy your plasplugs they will have the drill size and screw size embossed on the pack. There will be a slot to test-fit your screw in, and a hole to test your drill in. I almost always use brown plugs which are big and strong but you can get smaller ones. Have a look in your hardware shop or DIY shed.

Yes you can use a nail and picture hook if the plaster is sound.

Knock the nail in slowly at a slight down angle (no more than 20°). Try not to jig the nail up/down or sideways, as what you want is the nail to be tight in the plaster

For info, the plaster skim is quite strong, and resists the downward pull of the picture

Otherwise if you drill and screw, aim for at least 25mm depth into the brick and the screw thickness does not matter.

I found the little white circular fittings that ikea do to be reliable on good plaster. They're circular with 3 small pins that are ready to knock in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. Maybe it wasn't as stupid a question as I first thought. I'll probbaly go for the plugs option and then I'll know they are gonna stay there even if my plaster is a bit dicey.

Bhwh wrote;

I found the little white circular fittings that ikea do to be reliable on good plaster. They're circular with 3 small pins that are ready to knock in.

Yeah, My wife loves these little things, she uses them all over the place for smaller items!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back