Replacing a window with a patio door...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i have been offered some patio doors that are brand new but never got fitted, luckily they are a touch narrower than the window that i want to take out and replace.

The house is a narrow terrace and the window is offset in the wall, the distance from the edge of the window recess to the inside edge of the wall is around 6-8 inches and im worried that taking the bricks out down to ground level will somehow make the wall weak - am i worrying about nothing?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes :LOL:

You are not increasing the load only redistributing it slightly, as long as you make a neat job cutting the brick, close the cavity properly and extend the dpc down you should have no problems.

HTH

Alan

Sponsored Links
Don’t know your experience levels but the easiest way to extend the opening is to hire a 12” petrol driven, diamond disc cutter; this will also avoid disturbing the existing brickwork which is usually inevitable when using hammer & chisel or kango. If you haven’t used a disk cutter before, be very, very careful. Fit a DPC or preferably cavity closers to the new reveals.

I assume you are aware that its notifyable work & you should either;

a. get your LABC to inspect & issue a compliance certificate (fee) or,

b. use a FENSA or CERTASS (fairly new) who can issue one.

Without a compliance cert, you could have problems when you come to sell up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back