Chemical damp proof

J Bonding wrote
Does it prevent or cure TRUE rising damp
Quite correct, I should have said cure.

Shytalkz wrote
anobium wrote:
Once again we have the flat earth society making wild statements such as "injection stops a building breathing".
Where on earth did you get that one from, I would be interested to hear.

Try plugging your oral cavities with silicone and I think you'll get a pretty good indication of just what it stops a older building doing.

Would probably stop me talking, ;), but I suspect that with all due respect , judging with from your response, you like many others think that silicone is some sort of compound that solidifies in the bricks.
This couldn't be further from the truth, it basically lines the pores of the bricks to prevent capillarity.

Sponsored Links
I don't have much faith in BBA having seen the dire performance of several BBA approved roofing membranes!
What are you saying, man??! After all:
The certification tests run by statutary bodies such as the BBA are transparent and very clearly state what a product can and cannot do.
;)

rabtess, i am sitting on the fence about this stuff, so as you like it, can you expalin the following to me.

lets say a pipe bursts and it is not known (i chose pipe because this one is a water pipe so things will get damp)

the wall gets damp (remember we dont know about the burst water pipe)

now suppose prior to this pipe i invented bursting you drilled a hole in some bricks and injected this product you are looking for.

you drill a few more holes and inject where ever you say it should be done.
( i have no idea remember)

how is drilling a hole into a solid brick and ijecting something going to stop water from going above where you injected it?

It seems to me i can use the example of a jam donut

they are injected with jam, but the jam only stays in the middle, now if i have a whole row of donuts, and pick one at random where will the jam be?
it will be in the middle.

so with you injecting a brick, how will this stuff you inject cover the hole of the brick?

its like the donout, its only around where you injected it. (and donuts are softer, well when just baked they are)

so can you please explain to me how this injection system works?

Would probably stop me talking, ;), but I suspect that with all due respect , judging with from your response, you like many others think that silicone is some sort of compound that solidifies in the bricks.
This couldn't be further from the truth, it basically lines the pores of the bricks to prevent capillarity.
Nasal, aural, oral, it's all the same to me :oops: ;)

Pardon me for being a doubting Thomas, but I'm not, never have been, never will be, convinced of the efficacy of this as a treatment for damp. How can you ever guarantee that it has lined every pore in every brick; How can you guarantee that it hasn't blocked the pores? And, if it has somehow magically done as it says on the BBA certificate, which as we all know will be totally transparent and state unequivocally what it can or can't do, what happens to the moisture already trapped in the bricks outwith the pores?

Sponsored Links
no i used to be involved in the preservation industry a number of years back,and ive heard all this b4 over whether to install or not etc etc,and each firm i worked for had a different way of installation,into the mortar bed or into the bricks themselves,water based fluid or spirit based,low pressure or high pressure injection or even a transfusion method all were backed by the bwdpa,no doubt it has all changed but i still sometimes install dpcs at work as they own lots of old property's, using the injection method,im no expert by far,whether im part of the lemmings that will do as suggested by the likes of surveyors etc,but i would like to know how the peeps who think its a waste of time installing one would argue with the building society's and banks when they hold back there money.

Gregers, the BSs aren't really concerned whether or not it works, just that they've got a little docket that says something that purports to work has been installed - just in case they ever need to repo it.

no i used to be involved in the preservation industry a number of years back,and ive heard all this b4 over whether to install or not etc etc,and each firm i worked for had a different way of installation,into the mortar bed or into the bricks themselves,water based fluid or spirit based,low pressure or high pressure injection or even a transfusion method all were backed by the bwdpa,no doubt it has all changed but i still sometimes install dpcs at work as they own lots of old property's, using the injection method,im no expert by far,whether im part of the lemmings that will do as suggested by the likes of surveyors etc,but i would like to know how the peeps who think its a waste of time installing one would argue with the building society's and banks when they hold back there money.

You cant, thats the problem. they believe it works too :eek:
so does the salesmen who comes round with the damp meter that measures damp (my arse).

Gregers, the BSs aren't really concerned whether or not it works, just that they've got a little docket that says something that purports to work has been installed - just in case they ever need to repo it.

:LOL: i know that m8,what im trying to get out of them is what they actually think about this subject TRUTHFULLY :eek: ,as this is the sort of thing that will go on and on being debated about,

1 more question id like answered if there is no such thing as rising damp why are we continually installing a dpc course or membrane when a new house is built?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back