gushing water above the hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United States
ok. I'm calm now. I know our water systems and heating systems are very different from over there. This is a basic question that I really need an answer to. I am clueless. To make a rather lengthy story short....the main cold water pipe. which was copper and put together by what I think now might have been a three year old....it was never soldered together and the part which was above the hot water cylinder came apart....gushing water everywhere...including on top of the hot water cylinder. It has some wires on top of there...which has those little plastic twisty things on them....the water was gushing for approximately 10 mins (seemed like a lot longer) We connect to the mains here...and had to wait for them to come out and shut it off. Question is this---as I am now wet vacking the water up...and i started near the source, I hear a slight popping inside the cylinder...I have no clue if it always did that or if this is since the water rained down on it. Does anyone have an idea or basic knowledge of this sort of thing...do I have another problem now...besides the obvious?....plumber cant come out til this evening. Please.....anyone out there thats got a clue about USA hot water cylinders? I didnt put much technical info in...ask and I'll try and get it.

Sponsored Links
As you live in USA all I can say is, turn off water, switch electric to heater off, if have gas heater, shut it off. You have to get a enginner.

Dan

thanks guys---kev aint here (as usual-never around in a crisis)

I switched off the electric main switch---not taking any chances....plumber will be here tonight to sort it.

its amazing how fast water can spread in a short amount of time.

thanks for your help...or at least trying to...it was a long shot I knew.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back