Raised beds

TEC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to create a couple of slightly raised beds (around 100mm) which will be curved in design. Can anybody suggest a good timber material that I can get to use as edging between bed and lawn?

TC.

Sponsored Links
a good timber material ?... well how about... err ..... wood?

But seriously, pressure treated timber is fine...
Here's a pic of what i did to get curves... you just need a table saw, a protractor and a basic grasp of tigonometry..
These have been in for a few years now and are still sound...

The other option is log rolls.... very easy to use

CNV00077.jpg

thanks...

:oops: might have just given away the fact that Bob the Builder did most of it for me being as i left his shovel in the pic ! :oops:

Sponsored Links
This is what it looks like now.
And back to the OP, you could certainly sink this timber below ground...

garden5.jpg

is the wood sitting on top of the ground, or did you sink it slightly. If just sitting on the ground, what stops the soil being washed out underneath, and if they are sunk, how deep should they be sunk. When wood is sunk in the ground, is it just hit in using a hammer, or are you meant to put down a plastic membrane to stop moisture rising into it.

thats another way of doing it with cut softwood sleepers, set into concrete

(nice job by the way imamartian, given me an idea for a job im designing at the moment!)

My raised beds are just sitting on the ground. Don't really lose any soil out of them. Plus we put the contents of a compost bin in each year.

(nice job by the way imamartian, given me an idea for a job im designing at the moment!)
Thanks ! What do you reckon, 5%? ;)

Thanks imamartian and Thermo, both really great idea, and lovely looking beds. The design will be very curved, but I like the idea of just using pressure treated timber cut and set into the soil. I had thought of using log roles, but I think the look is a bit too ‘fussy’, I think I’d rather spend a day with the table saw out in the sun.

Just wanted to resurrect this thread briefly to say thanks guys for the feedback. We've finally completed the purchase of the new house so I can now get into the garden. Hope to be putting the new bed in this week so will let you know how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back