Exposing the brickwork on the chimney of 1930s semi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering trying to expose the brickwork of a bedroom chimney of our 1930s semi up to picture rail height.

I am unsure whether there was originally a fireplace in the upstairs rooms, and will probably re-open it (for decorative purposes only) if there was.

I know if I start and its not working, the worst case option should be a small replastering job.

But before I start, I wondered if anyone else some tips or advice.
PS our walls are dead hard render!
Also if it is successful - any hints on how to finish the brickwork - should it have some stabiliser painted on to reduce dust etc?

Thanks
Sharon

Sponsored Links
I did this is my last place - it looked great. It was a 1920 house - i had the chimney swept and we used it with a real coal basket.

I gave the bricks a good rub down with a semi-hard wire brush and then did not seal them any further (worried the heat would blemish any finish).

The iggest issue is getting the mortar looking right as a lot of this will coem away with the render. I patched areas up with clay and it looked fine.

D

If you want to expose the brickwork on a bedroom chimney wall, and you say it is covered in "dead hard render", chances are you will damage the brickwork trying to get the render off.

Roughcaster.

If you want to expose the brickwork on a bedroom chimney wall, and you say it is covered in "dead hard render", chances are you will damage the brickwork trying to get the render off.

Roughcaster.

wise words from rough c. ;)

Sponsored Links
The bricks used were also often rubbishy commons.

as joe says

any brickwork that was intended to be plastered over and out of sight will be made with odd bricks, clumsily laid, with gaps and uneven joints. It is very unlikely to be a thing of beauty.

I agree with Joe and John, and wouldn't look for anything special under the render, especially inside a house. But now and again, on the outside of an older house that has been rendered/roughcasted,you get the opposite. There is an older house not far from where I live, where the old wet dash was removed, to reveal beautiful stonework underneath. It was cleaned up, repointed and it totaly transformed the look of the property. Makes you wonder why it was covered up in the first place. Fashion at the time I suppose. :rolleyes:

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back