age of cutout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

does anyone have a rough idea of how old this cutout is and what material.

thks

100_9397.jpg

Sponsored Links
A look at the cable would help. But sometimes the cut-out is newer....

What supply type is it? Where does the earth for the supply come from?

Sponsored Links
there is an earth block connected to the incoming cable sheath via a small green wire.

would you guys bother getting it changed?
I'd rather let sleeping dogs lie if it is ok.

100_9398.jpg

Is that small opening to the bottom left of the fuse giving access to live parts ? (put a test meter an measure the voltage between it and the earth block below) - if it is - it shold be changed immediately. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

And I don't like the look of that ?string? knotted round the incomer. If it is wire, it should probably be put it into your earth block. If your earth block is too small get an 8-way.

If and when you get a new service head they will hopefully give you a better earth terminal.

p.s. there seems to be a shortage of screws and seals on the head, has the fuse fairy been in?

Is that small opening to the bottom left of the fuse giving access to live parts ? (put a test meter an measure the voltage between it and the earth block below) - if it is - it shold be changed immediately. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

which opening are you referring to?

the square looking one or the rounded one?

I'd guess the square one. It looks almost like a plug where an additional fuse would be plugged on, where one cutout supplies 2 homes. And that looks like a metal lug sticking out from it . . . :eek:

As someone said, very carefully measure for voltage on that metal lug (if it is as i described). If you get 230-250 volts, call your electricity company immediately and report a dangerous installation.

Widdler, could be new or has Mrs CDO been doing the spring Brasso :LOL: :!:

Warning stickers what do you want them for :!: :!:

a lot of that Equipotential bonding looking rather nice and new as well, is there a new cu and tails knocking about?

Those cheeky fairys, upgrading and stealing the screws and seals for their collection

I'd guess the square one. It looks almost like a plug where an additional fuse would be plugged on, where one cutout supplies 2 homes. And that looks like a metal lug sticking out from it . . . :eek:

As someone said, very carefully measure for voltage on that metal lug (if it is as i described). If you get 230-250 volts, call your electricity company immediately and report a dangerous installation.

can i use a tester bought from B&Q?

it is one of the cheap ones, nine quid or so. I don't want it blowing in my face whilst measuring.

I disagree with the advice given to go poking tester probes into supplier cutouts.

Very Bad Things can happen!

If you are concerned about the state of the cut-out in your home report it to the people who own it and are responsable for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back