Replacing stop cock tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently replaced the bath and sink taps because my wife found some (cute) new taps she liked. However after they were fitted and water turned back on i now have a a little leak from the stop cock tap. It doesn't drip alot, but as i am i my diy mood i have purchased a new tap. I have been told i have to go outside open my grid and turn off my supply then drain as usual.. Is this correct.

Cheers :eek:

Sponsored Links
Probably just the gland nut leaking (the nut where the spindle emerges from the tap body. Turn the stoptap completely off (i.e screw tap clockwise until water is off) and then unscrew nut until it lifts up.
Pack the body with a few turns of Ptfe tape pushing it down with a small screwdriver and then refit nut and test. Add more tape if needed.
If not the gland you will have to turn off your mains in the street and renew stoptap.
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT FITTING STOPTAP FOR YOUR INCOMING MAINS.
Beat to attempt renewal when plumbers merchants are open
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back