17th edition exam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone i have got to take my 17th edition exam this week .
Has anyone has already sat it ? i was wondering if the questions include the whole regs or just the changes since 16th.
I am sitting the update version 1hr long 30 question. its the 2380-200 i think.

Sponsored Links
I did the full fat 60 questions exam and pre exam 3 day course at the NIC

It included all the sections of the 17th and after 65 minutes (of 120 allowed) came out with 91%

You will know from revision 50% of the answers and the remaining ones will be a quick hunt through the red book. Buy some page tabs and index each of the sections to make the hunt easier.

If you mind goes blank skip over the questions requiring deep research and return to those later. The rear index is pretty good and 95% of the hard questions can be nailed down via a quick index reference check 1st.

If you feel it's necessary, there's online exams in GOLA format available for under £20

You get to take reference books with the anwers in them into the exam with you ?

If it is like the old 2381 then you are allowed to take the IEE regs, On site guide and the amicus book in with you. (Might not be of much use as the updated OSG and afaik the amicus book haven't been released yet)

Sponsored Links
heres one of the questions from my revision i think the answer in the book is wrong see what you think :

i will add the clue of where you should be looking for for your answer in white text underneath the multiple choice answers if your a bit stuck but even this points you in wrong direction if you ask me!!

where the measure of automatic disconnection of supply is employed fault protection may be provided by :-

A protective earthing only
B protective equipotential bonding only
C protective earthing and protective equipotential bonding
D electrical seperation

clue here>>>see part 4: protetion for safety regulation 411.1

If it is like the old 2381 then you are allowed to take the IEE regs, On site guide and the amicus book in with you. (Might not be of much use as the updated OSG and afaik the amicus book haven't been released yet)

I bought a copy of the Yellow & Red Amicus ( Unite ) books a couple of weeks ago.

The red one -Good electrical practice is based on BS7671: 2008 ( 17th Edition) the yellow one - Insp & test is based on 16th Edition.

heres one of the questions from my revision i think the answer in the book is wrong see what you think :

DD, you're correct - the book answer is wrong, it should be c) and not d) as they suggest.

Chri5, officially, what you are suggesting is frowned on by C & G. In any case, if you have been taught correctly, you need no additional tabs to navigate around the book. Also, the index ought to be where you look as a last resort - best place to start is always page 3.

Chri5, officially, what you are suggesting is frowned on by C & G. In any case, if you have been taught correctly, you need no additional tabs to navigate around the book. Also, the index ought to be where you look as a last resort - best place to start is always page 3.

Funny then that absolutely every one of the 20+ candidates, a mixture of 1 day 17th update and 4 day 17th newbie 17th had tabs on the book.

Simple dividing of the book in to the Parts, and sub sections of 4 and 5, and the same with the appendix 1-15.

In honestly when all the NIC trainers encouraged us to do it, I find your "frowning" daft :rolleyes:

As you know the courses are 2382-10 which I did, 60 Q's in 120 minutes or the 2381-20 which is the update for people with 16th and is 30 Q's in 60 minutes.

Pass rate is 65% and the primary requirement is to be able to read a book. If you can do that then that's 50% of the Q's passed.

The rest is down to being able to analyse the question correctly and find the answers in the BS7681:2008 red book. The OSG isn't in print, so that's out and I didn't know about the books mentioned further up the thread.

You can talk all you wish about methodology and how you 'should' read a guide / book, but ultimately it's different strokes for different folks and there were a few questions that answers HAVE to be cross referenced from the index.

The index is a smart move, because it will give more than one place to look. Important when a subject has requirements that need to be considered with other elements of the book.

Well that what I think anyway.

Just to add controversy I think 2381-10 and 2381-20 could be passed by anyone who can read.
There were at most 5 calculations and maybe only 30% of the questions required electrician 'savvy'.

Funny then that absolutely every one of the 20+ candidates, a mixture of 1 day 17th update and 4 day 17th newbie 17th had tabs on the book.

Oh, I know it happens. But, whether upheld or not, them's the rules.
(Apparently - and you may find this amazing - there is an actual law against using a mobile phone handset while driving, but you'd never work that out by observation. ;) )

... primary requirement is to be able to read a book. If you can do that then that's 50% of the Q's passed...

An enormous proportion of the population have an alarming level of difficulty in doing this.

You can talk all you wish about methodology and how you 'should' read a guide / book, but ultimately it's different strokes for different folks and there were a few questions that answers HAVE to be cross referenced from the index... Just to add controversy I think 2381-10 and 2381-20 could be passed by anyone who can read.

We have a rather different approach. While one objective is to pass the exam, this is (as you've pointed out) achievable with little real understanding. We aim to have all our attendees achieve the best they can and leave with a feeling that they have actually learned something and not just scraped through a test by frantically looking things up.

As you say, different strokes, but you should ask our students which they prefer.

DD, you're correct - the book answer is wrong, it should be c) and not d) as they suggest.

Thank the lord for that Dingbat!! I thought i was going insane cheers mate :D

Well done, what mark did you get?

I'd best not ask if you put tabs on your Red book :rolleyes:

Cheers chris.

i got two questions wrong in protection for safety and one in selection and erection. everything else was 100%

one of the questions i got wrong was about ' cables outside of zones are ok to be installed'

a - if 30ma rcd is used
b - if disconnection time is 0.2
c - if installed at depth of 50mm+
d - never

i put never. (d) but flagged it as i knew it sounded fishy i was checking it over at the end when i looked at screen when i worked out the correct answer time had ran out !!!

I did use tabs but to be honest i did not use them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back