How to build a terrace and retaining walls on a slope.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gradualy sloping garden that slopes away from the house View media item 798 and want to split it into several terraces, one for a small lawn and the other to grow veg, View media item 799 My question is, how do I start building the terraces? What layers do I need to create so that they are strong and don't sink? I'm thinking of making the retaining walls out of old railway sleepers as well if any one has any experience with doing this. Any advice would be great.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Thanks Deefadog.

My problem is the other way round - As the garden slopes down away from the house, I need to build up new terraces above the existing ground level rather than dig ones out.

I'm not sure what needs to go into the terrace - i.e. hard core, gravel, earth, concrete? Not sure how to make sure that the end result will be a nice flat lawn and surrounding path on terrace 1. Not too worried about terrace 2 as this will be full of raised veg beds.

Hope this makes sense.

Hi, you just need to what i have done in reverse then :) I guess build a good retaining wall at the bottom of the garden to the height you require and pull the earth back. i am no expert, first time i have done anything like this and i am sure the experts will be along with more advice.

One big piece of advice is get a mini digger in if you can ;)

Sponsored Links
youve got it easy then if your building them up.....well apart from humping in the imported soil

building the retaining walls out of sleepers, is quick and easy. Dont use old railway sleepers. they contain creosote that is harmful to children, anilmals and you, and shouldnt be used near where food is being grown. They also stink and leak in hot weather and are a nightmare to handle and cut. We always use new treated softwood sleeprs or green oak. The softwood are nbetter as they are all the same size so perfectfor wall building.

What height are the levels?

as for infilling them, a decent topsoil will do to fill the bulk of them up, and then finish the lawn one with 100mm of sandy loam.

Thanks for that - I'm guessing the end retaining walls will be no more than 3 feet - although I'm going to measure out the slope gradient later today to be sure.

Are we saying then that all I need to do is to back fill with soil? I was guessing that, as with laying a path, someone was going to say you need 100mm layer of this and a compacted layer of that...

In the photo you will see that to the left of the garden is a large rockery full of concrete chunks and flint bolders - Can I use that covered with soil?

As regards the retaining wall (good advice on the type of sleepers by the way), what ground work needs to be done for these and how would you suggest they are best held in place?

Hi, well as you will be back filling you will be pulling the top soil form the top over the top soil on the bottom, leaving no top soil at the top (assuming you have around 12" of top soil like me)

So you's have to get more top soil in. Also as the garden is on a slope this may/is be providing natural drainage, so when you come to level the garden you may want to think about putting in some drainage pipes (See garden pics top sticky last one)

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back