Removable sealant?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have a stained hardwood front door, with small glass panels.

I want to seal use a sealant to stop them rattling (I have beading on the inside).

However from time to time I wiill have to re-stain it and might want to remove or replace the glass when sanding, so don't like the idea of silicone as it is so difficult to remove. The rebate is quite shalow (I have glazed it with 6mm float) so i don't want a thick bead.

It is mahogany-coloured so I want something to match (or translucent).

I would quite like to make it difficult for anyone to smash a pane and poke their hand in.

Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Theres a double sided tape that glazing installers sometimes use when the beading is on the outside - helps prevent the glass being taken out. I don't know the name, but a google may throw something up - just a thought.

If you want to stop the glass from rattling only. you require whats known as leather tape. This edges the glass then the glass can be removed as you require. the double sided tape will hold the glass firm.

it used to be made of leather hence its name but know its more of a cloth. you should find it from a company caller ebor sure they have a web site.

oh and ps the double sided tape that the guy cant remember name,is actually called double sided tape. ;)

found them http://www.ebor.co.uk/glass_catalogue_glazing_section.html thanks

GLAZING TAPES
07-70-25A
Foam Tape Double Sided Adhesive
25mm x 1.6mm x 50m.

50 metres, huh?

I still think I might do better with a sealant gun.

Beads are on the inside but I have had trouble fixing them (door wood is very hard, pins like to bend or skew)

Sponsored Links
I just got some white decorators flexible caulk this morning and they do them in brown as well and can be use for indoor or outdoor. Very easy to use unlike sealant which can be messy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back