No Hot Water from Mira Zest Electric Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - Hope someone can help.

I have a Mira Zest 8.5 kW electric shower which has been working fine for over 12 months. Just recently it’s stopped producing hot water.

I have another Mira Zest shower in another room which works perfectly so I thought I would systematically exchange each part until I found which one was faulty. This is where it gets strange.

The first thing I tried was the thermal switch as this was the easiest to change. Still the same. The next thing was the heater tank. Again no change. I followed this with the flow valve, switching assembly and microswitches. I tested after each exchange and each time it was the same.

At this stage I decided to test the working shower as this now had all the ‘suspect’ parts but it worked perfectly and I got hot water. I then started to think that I must have thought I had swapped a part but mistakenly put the same part back in. So I decided to swap all the parts again from the working shower to the non working one. But once again everything was the same. The working shower was still working with hot water and the non working one was still cold.

This is when I noticed the light on the isolation switch. When it was turned on the light came on. When the shower was switched to low, cold water started to flow and the light remained on. As soon as the shower was switched to medium or high though, the light went out. Could it just be a faulty isolation switch? I have also checked the wiring from the terminal block and this is in order.

Sorry for the long post but if anyone could shed any light on this it would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
a faulty switch is a definate possibility

so are bad connections and faulty cable

Faulty switch/supply seems unlikely, as water is flowing, and you need electricity to power the solenoid-operated valve that lets water in....

kanector - did you swap the wiring loom?

Hi 'ban-all-sheds',

I haven't changed anything yet as I wanted to get an expert view on it hoping it will save some time. Swapping all those parts yesterday took hours and wasn't very rewarding :(

This particular shower doesn't actually need power for the water to flow. Even with the power isolated the water flows.

Tonight I think I will just change the isolation switch. One of 2 things can happen. It will either get fixed or it will get ruled out.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all...

Managed to get it sorted. It was indeed the isolation switch which was faulty. It was only passing through 70v.

Put a new switch in and it's working fine again now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back