My Potterton Oil fired boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Keeps losing pressure on the gauge,not sure if there is a leak some where on the pipeline or if it may be a gauge/pressure fault,its been like like this for 4 weeks,any help/tips would be most helpful.Bolier is a floor standing type

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you gotta leak somewhere.
Check exterior safety relief valve,small copper pipe outside for signs of water.
Check system for visual leaks.Also pay attention to pressure gauge.
Should be 1bar system cold,1.5 system hot.
Could be pressure vessel fault.

Sounds like it's a flowsure. Don't mention this if you call someone in.

Sponsored Links
I tried to see what that link went to !

I did not find out exactly but did find a grammatical mistake which needs correcting!

Quote from FAQ:-

e) NEVER use the Pressure Relief Valve to let water out of a system it will leak afterwards unless of course it was already leaking.

That actually says that if it was already leaking then it would not leak afterwards !!!

Tony

Quote from FAQ:-

e) NEVER use the Pressure Relief Valve to let water out of a system it will leak afterwards unless of course it was already leaking.

This also needs correcting as it is BAD advice. The valve will leak only if the seat cannot seal because of age or dirt. If it's dirt, it's time to clean the system.

If you don't operate it from time to time, how do you know it's not stuck, and so not a safety relief?. How do you know the discharge pipe isn't blocked? I have had both of these, on different systems.

The advice should read "ALWAYS use the pressure relief valve, and if it leaks afterwards, it needs fixing".

The FAQ at present contradicts the BS spec which requires the valve to be checked, and consequently it is unprofessional advice whose only benefit is to save a few pennies with the risk there could be a far bigger spend round the corner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back