which timber is best for shed project please ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone this is my first post but you seem like a friendly bunch so here goes..Want to really build a shed this summer and ive got some plans off t'internet but the wood costs are pretty exspensive and im trying to suss out if i can save on the wood outlay, which is the best buy and does it have to be pressure treated etc, its going to be a big one coming in at 18 x 10 but i know i can do it justice rather than going down the ready made route any advise as to where the cheapest timber supplier as well would be appreciated cheers :)

Sponsored Links
lheeelllooo and welcome jack mort :D :D :D

lets start from a different point ;)

how much are you expecting you materials will cost to build from foundations to waterpoof roof for 5 years !!!

my 12x10 [13x11ft]shed finnished to 10 to 20 year finnish [with minimal maintanance costs]

hi there,
very impressed with your workshop ! regards cost im thinking its going to be around 600 to 800 quid but thats just going off timber at band q and the like i know i need to be looking at lumberyards etc the foundation is already there,used to be a garage there once want to make workshop/gym area in it,just want a an idea of timber to use the roof is going to weatherboard or that compressed stuff and finished off with felt etc so i am looking for a decent finish... :confused:

i would get all your wood from a wood yard as the quality is better the lengths are longer

i recon because you already have a base you can probably get your shed up and running with a 3 felt system for around £1000

this would include joists and frames from 3x2" timbers all at 2ft centres

wall height at the side 6ft but 6ft4 or6" clearance 1ft from the side

walls clad in 5" txg shiplap at around £1.20p per m pressure treated
floor from 18mm ext ply with perhaps a joist every 12" where the heavy lifting area is

my shed cost around £1000 including foundations and electrics pre part p ;)

but no insulation or lining of the walls

you will save around £100 on your foundations and that will pay for the 6ft mid section for your shed over my 12ft as the 10ft end walls are the same in yours and mines

although you will probably be horrified by the £150 cost of 6 sheets of 18mm ply for your floor ;)

Sponsored Links
cheers ! thats great info and will definitley help me, will get back nearer the time regards the electric side of things as a bit in the dark there but lookng at your workshop electrics thats what im aiing for !! :D

As an alternative to shiplap you might be able to get featheredge boards a bit cheaper, go wide, 150mm and they'll go up in no time. Or if you can find cheap decking at a decent width, then that will look good fixed horizontally and be very strong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back