Bay window support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are about to have double glazing put on an extension to our house. One of the windows on the 1st floor bedroom is to be a plant on type bay window. The fitter has said that as its an upstairs bay it needs a wooden support underneath it. If this support is placed at the angle the fitter says it should be placed then it will involve removing a new pitched roof which is above our garage directly underneath. My question is wether there is an alternative. Could the support go directly underneath in a parallel type of constuction? or is there any other support system. The window is going on to breeze block. I am trying to avoid removing the small pitched roof tiles and lead.
Thanks
Nelliedee

Sponsored Links
how much gap have you got from under the window to the flashing on the pitched roof. if you have got enough room you could ask them to build in a dolly leg.

Hi
We have about 15 inches before the flashing. Could you explain to me what a dolly leg is?
Nelliedee

A dolly leg is actually bricked in through both external and internal courses of brick work forming a cantilever type bracket usually fastened down to the internal brick work to give a firm anchor to the back,
this would involve some internal plaster work to cover up the fastenings etc but would do the job you could use a nice piece of 9" x 3" this would also work well with three courses of bricks.

its usually cut to a double radius on the front for decorative effect.

if you are still trying to imagine what i mean i will try to do a sketch to show.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info.
I think what you are explaining to me is what I have seen supporting older type bay windows. It is a piece of timber the sits directly underneath the bay and is built into the wall, and not angled downwards . Would this be ok with block construction as the extension has beed built with 9" thermalites?
Thanks
Nelliedee

Cant see why not you could use a wall plate strap down the inside to fasten it to the blocks

and yes the older type bays were fitted in this manner so I think you've got it.

Thank goodness my drawing skills are a little rusty :oops:

Thank you very much for your help I shall relay the advice to our fitter 2moro
Nelliedee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back