Switching 13amp socket circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of replacing, and adding to the sockets in our living room. I have put in some 5 amp sockets on a separate ring purely for lighting outlets, and now I am tackling the 13amp ones.

What I want to do is to split the ring with a switched loop.. i.e. extend the ring by 2 double sockets (for TV, Video, DVD, Cable) which are individually switched, and also grouped on a second switch so that I can flip all 4 off instead of grubbing behind the TV every day/night! with a switch on a gridplate with the 2 lighting circuit switches.

I can get 10amp and 20 amp single pole, and 20 amp double pole for the gridswitch plate, which one should I use?? I am presuming the 20amp double?? but the others would be a fair bit cheaper!

Or do I have to use a different type of switch altogether??

Sponsored Links
Put a switched fused spur (s-fcu) on the ring, and run your sockets in 2.5mm² from the load side of that

If you are including it in an existing grid switch arrangement, use a fuse module and a 20A dp switch module, and be sure to indicate that multiple circuits are present in the enclosure

Be aware that some AV devices may loose stored channels if disconnected from the mains for more than a couple of hours

You can get extension cords by the way with one master socket and many slave sockets; which sense when thr device plugged in the master is drawing more than a standby amount of current and switch the slaves on or off accordingly

You can get extension cords by the way with one master socket and many slave sockets; which sense when thr device plugged in the master is drawing more than a standby amount of current and switch the slaves on or off accordingly

Yeah have seen this type of thing, but it's yet more "stuff" to try and hide :cry: one day these firms will wise up and start integrating useful kit in an anonymous black box with a single remote sensor!!

But back to the serious problem..

Put a switched fused spur (s-fcu) on the ring, and run your sockets in 2.5mm² from the load side of that

If you are including it in an existing grid switch arrangement, use a fuse module and a 20A dp switch module

do you mean a 13a fuse module on the grid switch?? I presume it is "obvious" how to connect the fuse module and where? :oops:

If it isn't then you should probably study some basic wiring books, like the Reader's Digest or Collins ones (Or the Which? guide if you can find a copy), until it is obvious, rather than grope your way through doing this on the basis of ad-hoc questions asked here...

Sponsored Links
Also, if you put this switch in a grid with light switches, use a keyswitch or some method to make this switch different to the light switches. Or I guarantee the missus or kids will come in and turn off your telly just before THAT goal.

Our house was rewired 18 years ago. There is a double switch at the bottom of the stairs. My mum and dad still dont know which switch controls which light. :rolleyes:

Our house was rewired 18 years ago. There is a double switch at the bottom of the stairs. My mum and dad still dont know which switch controls which light. :rolleyes:

Seen similar in a computer hall run by a major company..... They had emergency power off and halon release buttons grouped neatly together on dado trunking just next to the button to release the door lock.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back