Potterton puma 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just moved in to new house recently. Took some rads off recently for decorating and put back again and bled them - no air left. The Low Pressure light has been on for ages and the Black pointer is now hovering over 4!!!. If any one is kind enough to respond can you do it in a language that a fool like me can understand!. Below the appliance there are two taps one looks like its for water ( white plastic cap) and the other (copper ) looks like its a gas one - will these help? That is compounded by the fact that the low pressure light is on??

Sponsored Links
when you release the air bleed on an upstairs rad does anything come out....air or water?

I went through them all and water is coming out from the little valve on the top of each one.

it purely sounds as if you need to top up the pressure to 1 bar, but I'm not sure what the 4 reading is all about....it should never get that high especially cold...but there is a good chance it's not working!

Sponsored Links
yeah - no constant hot water - 5 seconds maximum

low pressure been on a while - pressure gauge was below one - so i fidled with the taps below - got it to 2 and it stayed there for a while - now its gone past 4

if it went to 4 it should have dumped the pressure from the pipe outside (probably under the flue terminal). If there are signs the pressure has been released from here then the pressure indicator is probably stuck on 4 with no pressure in the system.

the pressure flue is out side - copper pipe pointing downwards - no idea if pressure have been released from it - its been raining so if water came out i wouldn't notice

Sounds like your water pressure switch is blocked. Hence no pressure to switch=low pressure light on!

Small white circular device with 2 wires (yellow I think) attached. Remove outer case, remove screw in pcb housing, pull forward, drain boiler, unscrew switch from pipe. CAREFULLY clear blocked hole in pipe and switch. Reassemble hey presto should work.

Regards

The ESSENTIAL fact is that BOTH taps on the filling loop (a silver-coloured flexible pipe linking the cold water supply pipe with the Central Heating Return pipe) should be CLOSED except when the system is being topped-up to adjust the pressure. From your description, I'm not sure you've been 'fiddling' with the filling loop valves so I can't see how you can have adjusted the pressure. There are usually at least 5 valves of various types underneath a Puma. It's best not to touch the ones on the larger pipes (CH flow and return). They tend to leak if used!

Pressure at 4 Bar is definitely to be avoided: you'll wreck the boiler!

Pressure switch inside boiler may be blocked and inoperative, so that LP light comes on and boiler won't fire.

Best advice is get a pro to look at it - he'll fix it faster than you can and may well do it cheaper.

YOu need a new pressure relief valve - pressure shouldn't go as high as 4, and you need the pressure switch replacing or as has been said, cleaning out.
Meanwhile, if you remove the plug with the 2 yellow wires, PL12, lower left corner of the main board, the boiler will fire. Then you will have proved the point so replace the plug and call an engineer ;) .

Thanks guys - I went home last night and bled all the rads - took at least a milbottle or tow full of water from each - pressure has dropped back down as is now just over one.

Turned off the boiler at mains - waited and turned back on and lit pilot. tried using the thermostat to heat up the rads - no joy - Will try taking off the front tonight and looking for those two wires. Will let you know how I get on

once again thanks for your help :D

"pressure has dropped back down as is now just over one.
"

SOunds like the pressure vessel need recharging for it to drop as much as that.

first of all - Antartica?!

If the pressure vessel needs replacing - would I be better off getting a pro in to give the system a once over and checking for problems and fixing them
what is a good price do you reckon for a service incl all parts and labour?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back