Shed Base - contradicting advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The missus decided to buy our young daughter a wooden playhouse measuring 7 foot by 5. Its going near the bottom of the garden on what used to be a grassed area.

Now i know it needs to go on a base and after doing a google search found some helpful advice - however it seems that the more i look into the more the info seems to contradict itself.

I was planning to lay a base using paving stones and so far i have measured out the required area using pegs and string, took away the topsoil - and its this next step i get contradicting info about.

The site i got the info from said use 1 bag cement to 8 bags builders sand, level off and they lay the flags. However other sites say that for this type of base i need to lay crushed stone rather than the sand/cement dry mix. So not sure what to do next - i was planning to crack on with laying the flags this evening.

Apologies if it doesnt make sense, as you may guess i am a relative DIY novice - and given that i managed to cut my hands up a treat while simply trying to find my gardening gloves - theres a good chance that i could sustain some serious personal injuries putting this thing up and have already got BUPA on standby :)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Just go for it using the sand/cement method. No need for a sub base under such a lightweight structure.

and whatever method you choose make shure the wood is atleast a couple of inches off the ground

and if your concrete is the floor make shure its a few inches above the surrounding ground and the wood covers the edges to stop the rain that runs down the sides getting into the inside

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back