Vaillant Ecotec Plus Gas Boiler Central Heating Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

i was wondering if anyone can offer any advice?

The downstairs rads do not seem to get hot (warm up eventually to luke warm after a few hours) - upstairs is fine. the gas boiler keeps cutting out as the water nearby gets very hot - OK it's a circulation problem I guess...the system is 18 months old and has always been a problem.

i have flushed the system twice, but no change.

i am wondering if mounting the pump vertically just above the boiler was a good idea - or if it does not really matter? Would another pump downstairs help with the circulation?

The hot water in the tank is fine.

There do not seem to be any airlocks.

One plumber thinks "a power flush", another "it could be a partially blocked heat exchanger" has anyone any similar experiences? comments would be very welcome!

Kind regards

Charles

Sponsored Links
Do we assume that it is a 400 series open vent boiler?

Has it ever worked properly?

I've had 2 of these that had the HE block up even though I pride myself as good at powerflushing.

If the pipe work is installed correctly, vent, cold fill etc, along with the pump then it shouldn't really matter where it is placed.

Check the F & R temp at the boiler, d40, d41 and post back.

Hi Dave yes it is a 400 series open vent - no it has never worked properly!

Once it stopped generating hot water for a day but I rattled the pipework, banged the pump and it has been back to its usual (albeit poor) self.

the readings are: d40: 70 d41:45 - after it has been running a couple of hours.

any suggestions?

Kind regards - charles

from those 2 readings I would be looking at flushing out the HE. It sounds like there is some crud collected in one of the HE coils.

Is there any strange noise coming from the boiler only when it is running at maximum, P1?

Sponsored Links
Hi Dave,

The boiler sounds quite noisy when the temperature goes up high 80 plus and the flame then goes out and doesn't cut in again for a minute or so until the temperature has dropped.

It sounds like there is some "sloshing" of water in the immersion tank when the boiler cuts out as if something is boiling over. The pump is right by the immersion tank.

I appreciate your help...

Regards

Charlesg

I am having similar problems to this.
I have an open vent system with 8 rads running of it.

When it starts it ingnites and burns for about 39sec
Then it goes out and waits for ten minutes with all symbols displayed i.e. burner pump, gas valve, circulating pump etc.
After this period it ignites again and burns for about 1 minute.
Then turns off again as before and remains like this for 20 mins
Next it turns on and burns well until the radiators start closing down when it begins to go into an on and off mode sprinkled with a bit of recycling. It works best it seems with all rads turned on full.

My installer has been back and flushed the system but I am not sure how efficiently and Valliant have changed the HE to no avail.

My problem is that as I have had no experience with such a boiler I am not always sure when it is working properly or not.

It is difficult when the installer says it is Vaillants problem and Vaillant says it is the installer who should sort it out.

Any help would be useful at this stage.

we have fitted quite a few 400 series boilers and have had a problem with one particular installation even after powerflushing the system was innitially very dirty the only way we cured the problem was to fit another pump on the return ,that was nearly 18 moths ago and has been fine since seems a bit extreem but it worked, i would look at removing the blockage /restriction first, you say it was flushed was it powerflushed?
Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back