Raised Deck fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to build a raised deck and just wanted some advice on the type of fixings to use.

Looking in screwfix I have seen some M10 bolts for fixing the joists to the posts so thats OK - part number 91920-89. What should I use to screw the frame together. I've seen some exterior turbo ultra screws - 6x100 - part number 31021-89.

Would these be the right choice?

Many Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
I would'nt use bolts - they cost too much. I would use threaded rod with penny washers and nuts. Once they are tightened up cut off excess rod and apply some galvafroid.

I compared the cost of threaded bar/washers/nuts from screwfix and the pre-made bolts and for what I need. The difference for everything I need was £3. To save me cutting to length, I'd pay the extra £3.

How about the frame screws?

Mike

I'm surprised at that cost difference.

Frame screws are not for fixing timbers together, they are for fixing door/window frames or whatever into masonry.

I'm a bit confused, by frame do you mean the timbers on the perimeter.
It seems also that you are going to have at least two posts per joist, thats a lot of posts.

Sponsored Links
Yes, Deck frame. The frame the deck boards sit on.

It will be a 4m x 2.4m deck and I need 12 posts - 4 across the top (4m side), 4 across the middle and 4 at the front.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back