Vaillant ecoTec 831 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My newly installed Vaillant ecoTec 831 is doing two things which puzzle me, and may be related :-

1) With central heating off - when I draw cold water, on turning the tap off the pump starts and the pressure gauge drops. There is no sound of water passing through the radiators, so I would say it is pumping against a closed valve. This happens intermittently, the pump staying on for about 15 seconds after which the pressure gauge returns to normal. Sometimes the gas valve symbol appears on the display and the "hot tap" symbol both of these going off within a second or so. On one occasion the burner also came on briefly.

2) With central heating on and burner on - if I draw cold water, when I turn the tap off the burn stops, the pump continues running for 10 seconds or so, shuts off, then restarts almost immediately followed by the burner restarting. This also happens intermittently.

The installer says that the 831 "sometimes gets itself in a knot".
The first one seems to me to be a possible software problem.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Regards

Geoff Smith

Sponsored Links
sounds like air in the pipes causing water movement look for a dead leg in the pipe work

Definately a dead leg. Assuming you had a HW cylinder removed, look in there for a stub of a pipe (22mm) sticking out of the floor.

This pipe either needs to be removed, or simply have and air bleed cap fitted to remove the air.

Why would the pressure gauge drop?

Are you sure the filling loop isn't half open?

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all who said it is a dead leg - just what the installer says, although he thinks it's more to do with the number of bends and having pipes below ground floor level.

Something to work on.

Cheers

Geoff Smith

> Why would the pressure gauge drop?

The digital display correctly shows the pressure rising, but the analog (manometer) gauge shows it falling.
My installer reported this on Vaillant's helpline yesterday but, because it isn't on their computer system, couldn't get any sense out of them - he's awaiting a call-back from someone with technical nous.
Although it's not a fault that affects the working of the kit, I feel it should be dealt with under the 2 year guarantee.

As to the dead leg problem itself, the installer has convinced me that nothing can be done because of the layout of the pipework. But I've now found that if I turn the cold tape off slower than I had been used to the problem doesn't arise.

Cheers

Geoff Smith

Have you checked all possible dead legs....washing machine connections (especially the hot which are often not used anymore), old dishwasher connections, outside tap. Are you on a shared main? Perhaps next door could have dead legs.

It's perfectly normal for the pressure gauge to fluctuate a little when the pump kicks in. Depending on it's connection (positive or negative side of the pump) will determine whether it falls or rises. With some boilers it can move as much as 0.25 bar.

The digital display correctly shows the pressure rising, but the analog (manometer) gauge shows it falling.
My installer reported this on Vaillant's helpline yesterday but, because it isn't on their computer system, couldn't get any sense out of them - he's awaiting a call-back from someone with technical nous.
Although it's not a fault that affects the working of the kit, I feel it should be dealt with under the 2 year guarantee.

As to the dead leg problem itself, the installer has convinced me that nothing can be done because of the layout of the pipework. But I've now found that if I turn the cold tape off slower than I had been used to the problem doesn't arise.

OK, thats a slightly different scenario. I don't think there is anything wrong with your boiler.

My votes now go on a dead leg.

PS: Some Croydon installers give 5yrs rather than 2yrs on a Vaillant job :LOL: .

Thanks all

I've decided to live with the problem as it doesn't arise when a toilet is flushed / dishwasher or washing machine run, but only when I use a cold tap. Turning off slower than I was used to the problem doesn't occur.

Still awaiting a response from Vaillant, though, as to why the digital pressure reading goes up but the analog goes down - or have I misunderstood and that is caused by the dead leg too?

Cheers

Geoff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back