stuff growing under new shed, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am in the process of building a shed. I have laid concrete blocks with shingle underneath to level and allow drainage ( I have read up on this and that was the way they recommended). The shed is 6m x 2.5m and along the length of the 6m the ground falls away to about 5" lower, so by using different size concrete blocks and that combined with the shingle and a bit of digging, eventually I got it all perfectly level. I also compacted the ground before laying that stuff.

It have worked on it on and off for a few weeks when I have time and constructed the base out of treated 4"x2" but now due to the weather and time, a lot of weeds, grass, etc has grown, do I need to do anything about this?

When I have finished, the underneath will be in total darkness as I will clad right down to the ground, and lay some sort of decorative shingle all round the outside ( this I also read, they say it looks good plus minimises the splashing back on to the shed when it rains preventing it rotting too quick).

I am guessing that nothing will live in total darkness and whats there will die. I do not see the need for a membrane and shingle because of this as there will just be a dark cavity underneath, can anyone advise me please?

Sponsored Links
put some Pathclear (weedkiller) down. It also prevents seeds germinating for several months unless you disturb the surface (it leaves a thin film of chemical)

if you have large tough plants, cut them off or treat with Glyphosate.

another thing I just thought of is rats etc getting under there, as I said I will put about a 12" band of shingle all round the shed and I will clad to the ground so really that should not be a problem, what do you think?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back