emulsion on white surface of aluminium window frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to move into a house where I have just noticed the decorator has gone on to the new double glazed windows with coloured emulsion paint and not in an even line either. The windows are aluminium framed with a white permanent surface. How can the emulsion be removed without damaging the white surface? I understand the house has not been decorated for 10 years. Also, how does one avoid doing the same thing again?

Sponsored Links
meths will soften emusion pain so you can rub it off

however it runs off and evaporates quickly, so mix it with washing-up liquid, brush it on, flop a bit of kitchen roll on it to keep it wet, flop a bit of cling film on to stop it evaporating.

if you let the paint dry, it will go hard again.

Many thanks, John D. And that definitely won't affect the white finish on the frames? That's a relief if not.

John D -

That worked fine for the emulsion paint but now I have discovered oil paint from the windowsills going onto the white frame in places. Hadn't noticed it till the decorator repainted the cills white which shows up the old oil paint left on the frame before and looks terrible. Any hope of getting this off without taking the white finish of the aluminium windows?

Sponsored Links
I don't know. Anodised aluminium has a porous surface that stains, so it is usually laquered. I don't know how to get off the paint without damaging the lacquer. If it was my house I might try planing it off with a razor plade or scalpel flat on the frame, and clean off residue with a white nylon pan-scourer.

Thanks, John. Am too afraid of leaving scratches. I am wondering whether in some places it's corking, mucky grey colour. Why they had to splather it irregularly about a quarter of an inch up the frame, I can't imagine. And it was done by professionals, not diyers. The previous owners never lifted a finger themselves and didn't seem to notice the lousy work of the professionals, or it cd be a case of there was nowt that cd be done about it post hoc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back