salt on the patio?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I saw my neighbour the other day putting salt on the weeds growing through her patio..

I've also heard somewhere about defeated armies salting the earth so that nothing grows ( sort of like " ok, you can have it, but we'll ruin it first.." )?

so does this work?

i've a few large bags of salt knocking about in the shed for de-icing the front path in the winter and no weeds seem to grow out there, but then that's laid on a concrete base, so no dirt under it..

Sponsored Links
From a gardening site.

"SALT WEED KILLERS
Geoff Hamilton recommended a spoon full of salt to kill Dandelions and the like. Salt draws water out of cells to leave them dry, and salty soils kill plant roots.
So target its application and use sparingly.

Excess salt poisons the soil. Many important organisms: bacteria, fungi, earthworms; will be killed by salinity. It will eventually wash out, even so I would not use it on land intended for cultivating plants.
For some gardeners it is an option to consider with drives and gravel areas where plants are not intended to grow and where run off can be contained.
Remember, salt will not biodegrade, so regular use will eventually be detrimental to surrounding areas."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back