EIC entry for supply conductor size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you enter the size of the meter tails to the CU or the size of the conductors in the supply cable to the property ?

Sponsored Links
Meter tails, not the old bell wire supply cable that some DNO's seem to think is adequate.

Thanks for the reply. But are meter tails "Supply Conductors" ? Surely the "bell wire supply cable" is the "Supply Conductor" ?

Isn't it the same part of the certificate that asks for main switch or circuit breaker details, voltage, number of poles, current rating and RCD details if applicable isn't it? It's pretty obvious it's asking for the size and material of the conductors supplying this switch so for domestic it's the tails from the meter to the consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
In some cases, you can't ID the supply side CSA, so has to be the consumer's side, surely?

No question - it is the consumers tails you document. Thats the part of the installation you are certing - The DNO supply means squiddle.

Thanks for the replies. I was told on an NICEIC course that the entry should be the SUPPLY conductor size, i.e. the DNO cable.

Isn't it the same part of the certificate that asks for main switch or circuit breaker details, voltage, number of poles, current rating and RCD details if applicable isn't it? It's pretty obvious it's asking for the size and material of the conductors supplying this switch so for domestic it's the tails from the meter to the consumer unit.

I'd argue that its not "pretty obvious" as the entry is "Supply Conductor CSA" not "Meter Tail CSA"

Interestingly the model forms in 16th/17th editions do not have an entry for supply conductor CSA.

Thanks for the replies. I was told on an NICEIC course that the entry should be the SUPPLY conductor size, i.e. the DNO cable.

Then you either miss-understood or where very miss informed. NIC run course, or NIC endorsed?

dunny123 said:
I'd argue that its not "pretty obvious" as the entry is "Supply Conductor CSA" not "Meter Tail CSA"

Meter tails is 'slang'. You wont find mention of 'meter tails' in the regs, you will find 'supply conductors'.

The regs wholely refer to our installation, and not the supply cable, service head or metering.

Recroding the size of the service cable is entirely incorrect.

Interestingly the model forms in 16th/17th editions do not have an entry for supply conductor CSA.

That's fair enough (that you don't think it's obvious) but not for one second would I expect anybody to remove the cover off the service head to attempt sizing the supply cable. Unless you (or the glorious NIC) can think of another way of doing it?

As I said, it's the supply cable to the main consumer unit / distribution board.

That's fair enough (that you don't think it's obvious) but not for one second would I expect anybody to remove the cover off the service head to attempt sizing the supply cable. Unless you (or the glorious NIC) can think of another way of doing it?

Perhaps by enquiry ?

Perhaps by enquiry ?

Hahaha, good luck :LOL:

Just in case you didn't realise, it's NOT the DNO supply cable which needs sizing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back