gap around plug sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question I hope someone can help me with. I've has some sockets fitted and a couple of them are not very flush with the wall leaving a few mm gap around. I wouldn't be so concerned only they are going to be behind my bed and I'm concerned that say I knocked a drink over liquid could get into the socket.

As the gaps are not very large I was thinking of using some kind of translucent sealant but I'm not sure what I could use being around an electrical socket. Silicone? Any one have any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you could use silicone but then the connections arent readily accesible.
its a bit rough to be honest.cant you unscrew the 3.5 screws and stick some plaster in there?

if its worth doing,at least do it properly

actually,i think i may have misunderstood.are you saying the backboxes havent been flushed in properly?

if this is the case,again you could use silicone but still no substitute for taking out the backboxes and flushing in properly

Sponsored Links
lol mate :LOL:

would be a little pedantic on a PIR,just trying to say do it properly ;)

The problem is the plastering is off which is causing the socket not to be flush. I would have tried fixing but now my decorator has just paper the walls so I'm left with a situation where I'd have to strip back the paper to re-plaster/flush the socket.

I agree it's a bit rough but it's just a few mill and it's more a precaution on my part. So if I used silicone can you recommend one, I wanted to check with it beaing on an electrical socket.?.. Sorry new to DIY..can you guess..

:;)

As long as you don't squeeze a whole tube down the back of it!

Cut nozzle to size, squeeze enough to fill the gap in, wet your finger and run it around.

Click- sure has the right answer, if you choose to disregard the flushing of the boxes that is.

A nice thin bead of decoraters caulk finishes it beautifully, as your decorator is about ask him to do it, they have nice steady artistic hands ;)

Yep, sparks tend to have the terrible accidental habit of smoothing the caulk with a dirty finger, well, I do at least :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back