MET bonding sub-main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lets say I have a sub main CU in the Kitchen, can I use the earthing bar from that CU to bond pipes etc. Or do I have to run a seperate earth from the MET at the primary CU ?

Sponsored Links
IMHO I would say assuming that the sub main is earthed to the primary cu using an appropriate sized conductor (10mm) then this would be fine.

However, perhaps other people would like to add to this.

Thats what I thought, would love to know other peoples opinions.

Sponsored Links
Hilarious,

Im talking about main bonding where pipes entre a building.

My question was is it ok to use the Earthing Bar of a Sub main to main bond pipes entering a building if the sub main is closer to the pipes i.e. saves running a complete new earth from the primary C.U

I am a bit split over this one. If the submain was to another building and the earthing bar being used for an earthing terminal for that building then I wouldn't have a problem.
The risk involved with having your setup is that if the submain CU supply was to be disconnected you'd lose your MEB which also effects the first CU. What guarentees are there that this won't happen?

The question was purely hypothetical. The regs state that MEB conductors shall connect to the the main earthing terminal extraneous conductive parts of the installation including: gas, water, heating,AC, other. So lets say you install AC in your kitchen, and the kitchen has a sub main (many do) where are you going to connect the AC pipes entering your building. Back at the Main/primary CU or the sub main. Seems a right faf on having to go all the way back to your Main CU. I take you point though about the potential risks of removing the sub main.

Does the AC need bonding i.e. is the pipework extraneous?
I'm still of the opinion that MEBs need to be secure and should not be easy to disconnect accidentally, hence in your case directly to the MET. Others may have differing opinions, i.e. if the information is available and the connections correctly labelled it may be acceptable.

I don't like the idea,

Picture some extranous conductive parts bonded from the MET and some from the CPC bar in the subboard, all fine and dangy until a fault occurs on the subboard, and you end up with voltages between different services because of the voltage drop on the combined cpc/main bonding conductor caused by the fault current

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back