Upstairs lighting wall lights advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of a re-wire, the house has a flat roof, so access is very difficult for the upstairs lighting.

However, this is not my biggest head ache.

In the master bedroom and the landing, the customer has only wall lights and wants to keep it this way!

When I bring the feed into the bedroom, say, would i connect the wall lights as if I was swapping a ceiling rose for a L/N/E fitting?

Should I create a recess for the connection?

Should I be using a choc block?

Any suggestions would help as I have a couple of ways in mind, but am not entirely sure what would be the best

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Depends on the type of fitting. We've got wall lights in our house, in one room, there are push button switches on the actual light fitting, so the supply has to come to the fitting. In the hall, the wall lights don't have switches - they are operated with a wall switch, so the feed comes to the switch.

These wall lights are switched from a wall switch.

What I would like cdlarifying is exactly what is the best way to do this because I have no rose to bring a switch wire from/to!

So, treat as fitting without rose as in the wiki, or is their a better suggestion?

Sponsored Links
Take your supply cable to the switch, then another cable from the switch to the first fitting. This will connect directly to the L and N terminals on the light. You need to add a bit of choc block in the switch back box for the neutrals to join together.
For the second light, you can either take a third cable from the switch, or take a cable from the first light fitting to the second.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back